When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

7750 Reset to 12: One solution!

drhydro

Waaaal, I have about half a dozen 7750 chronos of various sorts, and use the chrono function on all of em regularly. Never had any problem with the reset to 12, all have operated well... until now! My Pam 188 all of a sudden started going all flaky on me, damned sweep hand would NOT reset to zero- :angry2::unsure::(

so I sez to meself, "Self," I sez, "this is serious. Get thee to thy stickyball and open 'er up. Leave no tern unstoned... :g: "

So I did.... took the movement out, put it under my Nikon stereo microscope, and did some fancy wiggle-wogglin'. What I found was interesting, and not necessarily what I expected.

Turns out that the movement was OK, the sweep seconds gear was going back to its zero point nicely. THE HAND WAS LOOOOSE on its tube! :idea: I could move the hand all the way around the dial, and the gear stayed put. Tube was tight on the shaft, but the hand would turn!

So I removed the second hand, and very carefully "tapped" it on top with a pointed punch from my staking set. This expanded the tube in the hand a little, and tightened it up. Reinstalled the hand, put the movement back in, and now it is perfect again. YAY ME!!! Have to admit, there were a few anxious moments, but I really feel quite pleased...

:kicking::kicking::king::king::kicking::kicking:

:band1:

I'm wondering if this might possibly be a more common cause of this problem than a bad movement? Anyone care to comment?

This has been the common hand slippage problem ever since I can remember.

I reported this and offered a solution almost 3 years ago on this very problem, it has been discussed many times, I am surprised you missed those previous posts.

Staking is tricky and doesn't always work, so I suggested that gluing the hand to the tube as a solution in March of '05 when I discovered this problem on my TTK 188. I have done the gluing many times and it works good.

Congrats on your repair.

RG

@The Zigmeister-

Yes, I've seen many posts concerning this problem, but have managed to miss any with mention of slipping hands- or fogotten about em! (advancing age, ya know...) and I agree that staking is tricky- risk of deforming the tube, for one thing- a drop of glue was going to be my backup. Next time I'll go for that first!

Is it just me or have some of the functions (bold, italics, add link, add photo, etc.) vanished from the post/reply screen? And the Edit button no longer offers Full and Quick edit options -- clicking it just goes to a blank edit screen. I added these bold & italics manually

As to the question of loose hands and repairs, I have not had much luck with glue or fingernail polish. At some point, it comes apart again. So I have been going the staking route, even though I have destroyed 2 hands that way (1 of which is the chrono seconds hand on my 116520). What type of glue are you all using?

My recommendation:

Use a very small amount of two-part epoxy, like Devcon. It helps to use the slow-set (30 minutes) type, as it will flow into a bead more easily. I hold the hand on the head on the tip of a pin, and use another pin tip to apply the epoxy. Stick the pin into a ball of Rodico, to hold it straight upright while the epoxy dries. The results look like this:

handrepairbc8.jpg

I've used this technique to secure the sweep hands on both of my Daytonas, and I don't anticipate there will be any future problems...

Use a very small amount of two-part epoxy, like Devcon. It helps to use the slow-set (30 minutes) type, as it will flow into a bead more easily. I hold the hand on the head on the tip of a pin, and use another pin tip to apply the epoxy. Stick the pin into a ball of Rodico, to hold it straight upright while the epoxy dries. The results look like this:

I've used this technique to secure the sweep hands on both of my Daytonas, and I don't anticipate there will be any future problems...

Thanks Avitt. I used Devcon 2-part 'Plastic Steel' epoxy with a similar procedure on this

6241001_1024b1.jpg

But I got glue in the tube hole and had to broach it out (not an easy task broaching through epoxy). I was hoping there might be another (easier to apply) glue out there. I guess I will just have to improve my gluing methods.