When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help me choose my first replica watch!

dopamine

Hey all! I've been looking at various replica watches and I've narrowed my choice to an Omega - mostly because there's some fairly cheap nice looking ones around here. I've basically narrowed my choices down to two watches because I wished to start with a relatively cheaper watch (I'm a college student and can't exactly afford to drop $300+ on a rep). My question, then, is if I should go for the cheaper Omega GMT Seamaster or the Omega DeVille. I know both are using Asian movements and I read the review of the cheaper asian Seamaster on this site, but I was wondering how accurate of a reproduction the DeVille is. Also, are these watches prone to breaking, do they have a decently smooth sweep, and do they keep time well at all? I might even consider getting both if they're both of good quality, as having a nice dress watch would be nice (I go to the Wharton School of Business at Penn, so even as a freshman, I regularly have to go to recruiting sessions and dinners and such). Thanks for answering my questions, and I'm really glad that I found this forum - I've been having a great time browsing through and reading and learning about this hobby, which hopefully I'll enjoy for a while!

Kevin

Omega GMT Seamaster: http://www.trustytime.com/index.php?main_p...products_id=171

Omega DeVille: http://www.trustytime88.com/index.php?main...roducts_id=1879

(I also read that there were some QC issues with the Seamaster where "Seanaster" was written on the clasp by accident, is that fixed?)

Someone suggested the Moon Watch, so I pulled up a quick search on Andrew's site and found these:

http://www.trustytime88.com/index.php?main...word=omega+moon

Are the $108 ones good, or am I just going to be getting a low quality bad rep if I purchase one of those?

Edited by dopamine

Between the two, the seamaster for sure, as it is one of the best looking Omega watches around. The Deville, just does not quite make it as far as the overall design goes, IMHO.

Why not pick up an Asian Steelfish. For around the same price you'll at least get a solid waterproof watch that has a "look" that few can offer such a price.

Minus the the lack of AR and the movement it's identical to it's 300+ dollar counterpart.

In the Omega line, you can also look at the Railmaster...very understated, but a bit large faced possibly depending on your look.

The SMP is the classic Bond watch...if he can wear it with a Tux...you can wear it to recruiting sessions.

A Rolex Noobmariner is good too (TTK or Joshua if you confirm you specifically want the caseset serial #F520117...see my post for details below:)...at just over $100 USD including shipping...hard to go wrong.

Submariner Post

In the Omega line, you can also look at the Railmaster...very understated, but a bit large faced possibly depending on your look.

The SMP is the classic Bond watch...if he can wear it with a Tux...you can wear it to recruiting sessions.

A Rolex Noobmariner is good too (TTK or Joshua if you confirm you specifically want the caseset serial #F520117...see my post for details below:)...at just over $100 USD including shipping...hard to go wrong.

Submariner Post

Well, I guess I wouldn't necessarily choose the Seamaster, it just had good reviews and seemed like a decent price. I want to make sure that the watch I get isn't too large, probably a 40mm or 42mm at the most, and it would be a bonus if it was dressy enough to wear with a suit. I wasn't really thinking Rolex because I feel like that would stand out immediately as being fake. That being said, it doesn't have to be an Omega. Anyone have specific suggestions in the sub-$150 price range for a reliable watch that has a good design, and perhaps a link to where I can buy it? FYI, other watches I had considered were a Tag Heur Carrera and I also liked IWC and Breitling watches, but couldn't really find a decently priced one. I was sorely tempted by the TT Navitimer when I saw how gorgeous By-tor's was, but I figured I couldn't really pull that off as a college student.

Kevin

Edited by dopamine

I would like to know too.. but there are tradeoffs with lower end watches.. you can probably find a decent IWC or Tag for $150 if you don't mind having a cheaper movement. Most watches will have a "cheaper" version if you look for it. Do a search on best watches for under $200, $100, etc.. :)

IMO, i would go for something you genuinely like no matter the cost.. an extra $50 is not gonna hurt you.. or check out the trade section for a deal.. :)

An alternative to consider is the black faced Seamaster GMT. IT avoids the obvious 'tell's of the blue SMP Pro GMT as it does not have the He valve nor the display caseback. Even the crownguards are very accurate!!

The latest generation of black dialled Asian SMP GMTs are probably the most underrated reps of the moment.

Hey all! I've been looking at various replica watches and I've narrowed my choice to an Omega - mostly because there's some fairly cheap nice looking ones around here. I've basically narrowed my choices down to two watches because I wished to start with a relatively cheaper watch (I'm a college student and can't exactly afford to drop $300+ on a rep). My question, then, is if I should go for the cheaper Omega GMT Seamaster or the Omega DeVille. I know both are using Asian movements and I read the review of the cheaper asian Seamaster on this site, but I was wondering how accurate of a reproduction the DeVille is. Also, are these watches prone to breaking, do they have a decently smooth sweep, and do they keep time well at all? I might even consider getting both if they're both of good quality, as having a nice dress watch would be nice (I go to the Wharton School of Business at Penn, so even as a freshman, I regularly have to go to recruiting sessions and dinners and such). Thanks for answering my questions, and I'm really glad that I found this forum - I've been having a great time browsing through and reading and learning about this hobby, which hopefully I'll enjoy for a while!

Kevin

Omega GMT Seamaster: http://www.trustytime.com/index.php?main_p...products_id=171

Omega DeVille: http://www.trustytime88.com/index.php?main...roducts_id=1879

(I also read that there were some QC issues with the Seamaster where "Seanaster" was written on the clasp by accident, is that fixed?)

Someone suggested the Moon Watch, so I pulled up a quick search on Andrew's site and found these:

http://www.trustytime88.com/index.php?main...word=omega+moon

Are the $108 ones good, or am I just going to be getting a low quality bad rep if I purchase one of those?

Ask yourself what your prio is; watch quality or accuracy

I remember I saw a top ten of economy watches. Consider one of those.

Are you in the Euro zone. If so, prices in $ are a laugh.