When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Dw 6263 Case

Just got Cousins tube for the DW case, but the threads on it don't seem to fit. Cosuins' tube is supposed milled to the gen Rolex spec, and DW's case will accept gen. parts. Anyone has this experience? Do I just force screw the tube onto the case will do the job? Any help please.

Guest avitt
Just got Cousins tube for the DW case, but the threads on it don't seem to fit. Cosuins' tube is supposed milled to the gen Rolex spec, and DW's case will accept gen. parts. Anyone has this experience? Do I just force screw the tube onto the case will do the job? Any help please.

I have fit a Cousins tube to a DW case. I suggest that you clean up the threads with a tap. I had the same problem with an MBW 1665 case, and re-tapping was the cure.

I have fit a Cousins tube to a DW case. I suggest that you clean up the threads with a tap. I had the same problem with an MBW 1665 case, and re-tapping was the cure.

Thanks avitt.

Sorry, I don't get the meaning of re-tapping. Can you explain in an easier understanding?

Guest avitt

A tap is a tool which can cut female threads. Using a tap on the tube hole can help to reshape threads that are imprecise. I used this tool:

Rolex Case Tube Tapping Tool Set

It comes with the correct size taps for both the tube and the pusher holes on a 6263.

You may want to also pick up a handle for the taps. You can get one of these at you local hardware or hobby store.

Yes, the thread pitch on the tube DW uses is slightly coarser than the 7mm Rolex tube. It is also ever so slightly smaller diameter across the threads (.12mm). This means that the genuine Rolex tube will not work unless you run a tap through first. You will also notice that the DW tube is flat shouldered, while the new one is essentially tapered where it seats to the case. Several people have cracked new tubes trying to install them without first countersinking the case hole slightly.

Before running the tap through, use a 3/16" drill bit to do the countersinking. You must use some lubricant on the bit, and you can actually hold the bit in your hand for better control, rahter than in a drill. Work slowly and check your progress frequently. It won't take long to do. You only need to countersink until the taper is the width of the seat on the crown. Make sure it's smooth (use a good bit).

I believe The Zigmeister did a pictorial on the old RWG at some point. If you do this, you can torque the new tube correctly and firmly without worring about cracking the new tube.

Yes, the thread pitch on the tube DW uses is slightly coarser than the 7mm Rolex tube. It is also ever so slightly smaller diameter across the threads (.12mm). This means that the genuine Rolex tube will not work unless you run a tap through first. You will also notice that the DW tube is flat shouldered, while the new one is essentially tapered where it seats to the case. Several people have cracked new tubes trying to install them without first countersinking the case hole slightly.

Before running the tap through, use a 3/16" drill bit to do the countersinking. You must use some lubricant on the bit, and you can actually hold the bit in your hand for better control, rahter than in a drill. Work slowly and check your progress frequently. It won't take long to do. You only need to countersink until the taper is the width of the seat on the crown. Make sure it's smooth (use a good bit).

I believe The Zigmeister did a pictorial on the old RWG at some point. If you do this, you can torque the new tube correctly and firmly without worring about cracking the new tube.

Thanks guy.

Now I know I am in deep sh_t coz I am no good at doing this kind of metal work.

I am a bit lost here about using a drill bit. What is it actaully and how does it work? Does it mean I have to make the tube hole on the case a deeper "V" shape for the new tube to seat flat against the case? Some pics on how to do this job would be most help.

Thanks again.

u simply take the tap and screw it in , no drilling necessary , it just basically cleans the threads up so it will fit your new tube, thats all screw it in like a screw , just make sure u r not cross threading them ok

u simply take the tap and screw it in , no drilling necessary , it just basically cleans the threads up so it will fit your new tube, thats all screw it in like a screw , just make sure u r not cross threading them ok

Hi Joe,

Glad to have you comments here.

In this case, after tapping and have the new tube installed, will the crown seat flat against the case after tightening onto the tube?

Please advise. Thanks.

This the picture previously from avitt.

post-943-1149788646_thumb.jpg

post-943-1149788676_thumb.jpg

Hi Joe,

Glad to have you comments here.

In this case, after tapping and have the new tube installed, will the crown seat flat against the case after tightening onto the tube?

Please advise. Thanks.

This the picture previously from avitt.

You don't want it to 'seat' against the case, because that would defeat the seal within the crown. Countersinking the hole can bring the crown much closer.

You don't want it to 'seat' against the case, because that would defeat the seal within the crown. Countersinking the hole can bring the crown much closer.

Thanks again.

Sorry for my poor understanding. What does it mean by countersinking the hole? You mentioned using a 3/16" drill bit, but I have no clue how the process is.

Very very sorry for my ignorance.

Please help.

Essentially, countersinking is using a larger drill than the hole to create a tapered hole before the threads start. You will notice that the tube flares from the threads that go into the case to the larger threads that the crown screws onto. It is not a simple step up in size.

Because of this taper on the tube, if you try to torque the new tube in, you will eventually get to the point where you are trying to compress the tapered section of the new tube against the abrupt beginning to the threaded hole in the case. The tube will thread in and you won't get a very positive feeling near the end. It feels as though you can turn it just a bit more. What then happens is you put a huge crushing force as you drive the tapered section into the start of the case hole and the tube cracks, as some have found.

Using a larger drill than the hole creates an initial tapered section to the hole and allows the tube to seat with a more positive engagement of the sealing surface and eliminates the crushing force as you bottom the tube out. Careful, as you don't want to sink the tube into the case or eliminate a significant fraction of the threads in the case, you merely want to create a slight taper that approximates the taper on the sealing surface of the tube, hence the use of a bit around 3/16". Go easy, and use lubricant. If you have a good bit, you will not need to force anything.

Guest avitt
Guys, i have a DW case where the pushers wont fit because of the threading, is there a tapping toll for this one as well? Thanks

The kit that I references above comes with both of the taps that you'll need. I believe that the smaller tap is 2.5mm, and can be used for the pusher holes.

Thank you very much for your times, you guysa re so knowledgable and helpful.

I will start looking for the tapper to make the new threads on the case.

Still a bit uneasy about the countersink. How much metal I have to take away from the tube hole entrance? Just a few turns of the drill bit will do the job?

Thanks.

The kit that I references above comes with both of the taps that you'll need. I believe that the smaller tap is 2.5mm, and can be used for the pusher holes.

Hi avitt,

Did you run a 0.25mm thread pitch tapper through the DW case for installing the Cousins' tube? I am going to buy the tapper tomorrow, please help and advise what size of tapper you used?

Thanks.

The 2.5mm tap is for the pushers. You'll want the 3.0mm tap for the crown.

Thanks Ubi,

The key here is the thread pitch. 3.0mm tap can have different pitch also. So it should be a 3.0mm tap x 0.25 mm thread pitch, right? I think DW's tube hole has a 0.3-0.35mm pitch. If I run the 0.25mm pitch tap over it, it can create the new thread pitch to fit the Cousin's tube pitch?

• 1 month later...

Guys, i need your help. As mentioned earlier, i have a 6263 case where the pushers wont fit, it needs retapping for both pushers and tube. Please, help me find the right retapping set... sorry but i am a bit confused here... Thanks

BTW what size is the right tube insertion tool for the 24-7030 tube?

Edited by the collector

2.5mm and 3.0mm is indicative of the size of the hole for the threads on the tube and pushers. 5.3mm and 6.0mm is indicative of the size of crown that is compatible with said tubes.

For the crown tube, the '6.0mm' tap in that auction should work just fine (tubes for 6mm and 7mm crowns have the same size threaded bodies). Not sure about the tube for the 5.3mm crown, but that one just might carry the 2.5mm diameter, as that's the one used in ladies' size watches...