When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

It's Time to Declare Victory

Guest Carl

Yes, the time has come.

After several months of statistical observation, the Rolex part of the forum has definitely moved ahead of the Panerai folks in topics and posts.

It has been a long struggle, but the results are now clear. RWG has voted for Rolex. The Dark Side does not seem to have caught on yet.

As a watch owner, I have both brands on the wrist from time to time so do not have an axe to grind but I would encourage any and all to add their own thoughts to the thread.

Carl

It took people over six months to learn that the Rolex threads belong to the "Rolex Area", instead of "General Discussion". That might be one big factor of its growth as well.

Panerai and Rolex are both exceptional watch brands consisting of superior design and quality, yet both stand alone in their unique contributions to the world of wrist watch collectors. I have not seen that many collectors of Panerai gens who also own Rolex and vice a versa. Just two days ago a gentleman came into my workplace wearing a gen 231 gold Radiomir. He owns over 100 watches, and had the very same ceramic bezel gold Hublot BB that I have a rep of, however he owned no Rolex and frowned when I asked if he owned any rollies. There are now so many fantastic gen watches available that many watch collectors are snapping up. It seems that the Rolex collector, (gen) , and in general, are those who have viewed Rolex as a status watch that demostrates the success and 'arrival' of the owner, and not neccesarily a person who knows a great deal about watches. Most gen Rolex owners I speak to are often not fully aware of what they own themselves and are at a loss to share knowledge of other categories of the brand, such as Daytona, Submariner, GMT, etc. It seems that they know that they have a genuine Rolex and that makes them happy. It is most interesting, and I would not have even thought to inquire about the watches worn by those I meet daily in business, so I must be grateful to this forum for the many things learned in over a year about our hobby and the watches we collect.