When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My jeweler called me for an "Expert" opinion...

rower

I got called for an expert opinion by a jeweler in my town. He does not handle very many watches and knows of my addiction. When I got there I was able to take this watch home over night. It is a first year President. The dial has been redone...poorly I might add. and the bracelet was added from many years later. The watch is from 1957 but the movement was from 1958. In checking with Rolex they said that this was a common thing back then. If the had a left over case they would just throw the current movement into it. All in all it was a lot of fun, but I am in no way an expert. I spent alot of time over at timezone with the real experts. They actually help me sound like I know what I was talking about. My jewler never purchased this watch from the estate. When they found out how much it was worth, they wanted to keep it.

Enjoy....

f2b1780813.JPG

494e23aa99.JPG

4f409049fe.JPG

This solid gold Cartier was in the same lot.

c6ff700298.JPG

7ee2d55b81.JPG

0e0693659b.JPG

Before you say it, I know it was a replacement crystal with a poorly placed cyclops. How many of us would put up with the gap in between the case an endpiece?

Believe it or not with all the issues, Jeff Hess (Rolex expert from Florida with a great coffee table book to his name) estimated this watch at a minimum of $15,000!

Before you say it, I know it was a replacement crystal with a poorly placed cyclops. How many of us would put up with the gap in between the case an endpiece?

Believe it or not with all the issues, Jeff Hess (Rolex expert from Florida with a great coffee table book to his name) estimated this watch at a minimum of $15,000!

My god!

15K? for such a ugly little genuine franken?

People are insane if you ask me.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers

Stephane