When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Carrera Automatic Chronograph

Cavester

Hi,

I am looking at getting the two tone (gold and white) Carrera Automatic Chronograph from Andrew at TT. Does anyone know if the gold is likely to wear off on this model? Anyone have any experience with gold reps? If not then it looks like a smart watch for the right occasion.

Thanks,

Lee.

Edited by Cavester

what do you expectfrom fake gold?? of course it will wear off...

Hi,

I am looking at getting the two tone (gold and white) Carrera Automatic Chronograph from Andrew at TT. Does anyone know if the gold is likely to wear off on this model? Anyone have any experience with gold reps? If not then it looks like a smart watch for the right occasion.

Thanks,

Lee.

I've had my eye on the same watch from the time it came out originally from Tag Heuer and especially now that it is in rep form. I recall that the gen runs $3400 or so retail, maybe less if you shop around. So if you buy from Andrew, look at what a great deal you're getting. If you service the 7750 movt for a couple of hundred dollars, it's an even better deal.

As for the gold, well you take your chances. I'd figure that the crown, pushers and bezel will hold up OK, but the mid-links on the bracelet have always been the downfall in the past on TT reps for me. Dont' go in salt water! And if you take the bracelet off and put on a nice dark brown crocodile strap w/ a gold Heuer buckle, I'd still think it's a kick butt good looking watch. And a real TT gold Heuer bracelet might cost $500-700, maybe more, but you'd still have a whole lot less in it than a gen and it's a great looking watch.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently bought this watch from Ruby; it's perfect. I can't find a flaw. The gold on the watch itself doesn't touch your wrist; it's all stainless there. Unless you scratch up the dial from hitting it on things it will hold up just fine. The bracelet has satin mid links that look more like brass than gold (same on the gen); I don't believe they will wear poorly.

I own several reps with gold midlinks and bezels. I've owned several of them for many years and they all look great. But keep in mind I have many reps, and don't wear the same watch every day. I also have a few beaters for times when ther might be some abuse.

My view is that if you wear the TT carefully it won't be an issue. If you tend to abuse the poor thing forget it.