When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

why counter clockwise?

evilboy

I was wondering why you always set a clock or watch by turning the hands counter clockwise and should turn them clockwise. Does it damage the release?

You can set the hands any way you want. In fact, going anti-clockwise is silly on watches with dates.

The only time you should always go anti-clockwise is on a 7750 (ETA or Asian) when you're setting the minute hand accurately. Go clockwise until you pass the correct time and then reverse to the exact minute.

I once tried to set my time clockwise, and the gears somehow misaligned and now it is unwearable. A really good rule of thumb is; whenever the watch is running never set the hands back - only set them back if it is stopped. If it is not running, setting it either way is fine. Understand that our rep movements are not quite as... lets say... resilient as their genuine counterparts.

Don't take what I'm saying as pure fact.. I am only giving you advice from my experience. Theoretically, it should not matter either way.

You can set the hands any way you want. In fact, going anti-clockwise is silly on watches with dates.

The only time you should always go anti-clockwise is on a 7750 (ETA or Asian) when you're setting the minute hand accurately. Go clockwise until you pass the correct time and then reverse to the exact minute.

well, i am now having problems with my SFSO swiss 2824 when I go clockwise, the gears somehow misaligned which makes it impossible to turn it clockwise...

well, i am now having problems with my SFSO swiss 2824 when I go clockwise, the gears somehow misaligned which makes it impossible to turn it clockwise...

How did you break that? :o

Here's the usual advice you'll find:

Does it matter which direction you turn the crown when you're setting a watch?

On most mechanical watches it doesn't. On some, particularly those equipped with calendars, you should only move the hands clockwise. The manufacturer's instructions will include directions for setting.

On quartz watches, it's OK to move the hands in either direction to set them. Manufacturers point out, though, that you can eliminate the free play in minutes hand by setting it in the following way (a quartz watch, unlike a mechanical one, tends to have play in its minutes hands due to the lack of tension in the gear train): Move the minutes hand clockwise until it is a few minutes past where it is supposed to be, then move it counterclockwise back to the correct spot.

How did you break that? :o

Here's the usual advice you'll find:

Does it matter which direction you turn the crown when you're setting a watch?

On most mechanical watches it doesn't. On some, particularly those equipped with calendars, you should only move the hands clockwise. The manufacturer's instructions will include directions for setting.

On quartz watches, it's OK to move the hands in either direction to set them. Manufacturers point out, though, that you can eliminate the free play in minutes hand by setting it in the following way (a quartz watch, unlike a mechanical one, tends to have play in its minutes hands due to the lack of tension in the gear train): Move the minutes hand clockwise until it is a few minutes past where it is supposed to be, then move it counterclockwise back to the correct spot.

i have no idea, but going counterclockwise is fine...