When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watch Winder fix

Johnkaz

I have a quad watch winder similar to this link,Watch winders

I have had this for 3 years it has got progressively louder of late and as it lives in our bedroom causes some problem. It's similar to a tractor starting and ticking over. My wife has suggested on a few occasions to replace with a new one, but I have better ideas.

Time to take it apart a fairly daunting prospect as there are no screws visible, the way in is to take out the watches and pull the bit they sit in carefully out it is glued in, from the top this is a circular leatherette, when you eventually peel this off this is cheap cardboard typical of Chinese ingenuity, it is now possible to pull the whole of each of the motorized bits out they usually have a faux wood surround and this is lightly glued in. After lifting out there is a motor and gearbox fixed to a small circuit board by longish wires giving some room to manouvre.

The whole of the plastic cup that turns is fixed to the gearbox by one bolt. Undo this. The gearbox is fixed on the back by 4 screws with fibre washers, undo these. The electric motor is fixed to the gears by 2 bolts, again undo. The gearbox itself is about the size and shape of a large Panerai.

The next bit was to find out what was causing all the noise, I ran the electric motors, no problem there. A look at the gearbox when I turned the spline which the cup fixes onto it was quite tight to turn, the gear cogs themselves are all meshed together in a sealed casing with various holes on both sides, they had been covered in a dirty looking quite thick black grease although they appeared to be nylon cogs. Down into the workshop a liberal application of WD40 (thank god for this wonderous substance) a bit of twiddling and soaking and they are easy to turn. I dried all the excess WD40 reassembled the whole thing and I have a fairly quiet watch winder at a fraction of the cost. I also insulated the hidden bit of the box where the motors are.

I hope this is of use to somebody.

Cheers Johnkaz

I have a quad watch winder similar to this link,Watch winders

I have had this for 3 years it has got progressively louder of late and as it lives in our bedroom causes some problem. It's similar to a tractor starting and ticking over. My wife has suggested on a few occasions to replace with a new one, but I have better ideas.

Time to take it apart a fairly daunting prospect as there are no screws visible, the way in is to take out the watches and pull the bit they sit in carefully out it is glued in, from the top this is a circular leatherette, when you eventually peel this off this is cheap cardboard typical of Chinese ingenuity, it is now possible to pull the whole of each of the motorized bits out they usually have a faux wood surround and this is lightly glued in. After lifting out there is a motor and gearbox fixed to a small circuit board by longish wires giving some room to manouvre.

The whole of the plastic cup that turns is fixed to the gearbox by one bolt. Undo this. The gearbox is fixed on the back by 4 screws with fibre washers, undo these. The electric motor is fixed to the gears by 2 bolts, again undo. The gearbox itself is about the size and shape of a large Panerai.

The next bit was to find out what was causing all the noise, I ran the electric motors, no problem there. A look at the gearbox when I turned the spline which the cup fixes onto it was quite tight to turn, the gear cogs themselves are all meshed together in a sealed casing with various holes on both sides, they had been covered in a dirty looking quite thick black grease although they appeared to be nylon cogs. Down into the workshop a liberal application of WD40 (thank god for this wonderous substance) a bit of twiddling and soaking and they are easy to turn. I dried all the excess WD40 reassembled the whole thing and I have a fairly quiet watch winder at a fraction of the cost. I also insulated the hidden bit of the box where the motors are.

I hope this is of use to somebody.

Cheers Johnkaz

Thanks for sharing. But without pictures it is difficult to understand.