When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Looking for PAM cyclops

kye_lin

HauteHippie made excellent cyclopses, but they were a little overpowered (and of a too large diameter) on the 027 and 028.
His cyclopses are the best on D/E PAM series onwards, and -- disregarding the diameter issue -- also on pre-D series, as long as not 2892-A2 powered (this is the movement of the 027 and 028).

lello is not providing with cyclopses but datewheels. If you want your 028 date problems solved, you need both a new cyclops and a new datewheel, because the rep date font is bad.

As a proud 028 owner, I worked exactly on a correct cyclops for the 027 and 028. Unfortunately they are sold out now, but we may find a way around it.
PM sent.

Right, my cyclopes were the larger diameter version for newer PAM models and not appropriate for the 27,28,29, etc.

Didn't know that?? How about for the 063?? I just picked up a GEN crystal for a 23A and it's interesting since a hole is milled out of the crystal and inset into what appears to be two layers of crystal glued together. I'll have to post pics. A lot of work went into that crystal.

Didn't know that?? How about for the 063?? I just picked up a GEN crystal for a 23A and it's interesting since a hole is milled out of the crystal and inset into what appears to be two layers of crystal glued together. I'll have to post pics. A lot of work went into that crystal.

Did it not come with a cyclops? It would be nice if you had a set of calipers and could measure the hole diameter precisely. I'd be willing to make he measurement if you don't have calipers, and then return the crystal to you. But the A series cyclopes are definitely smaller than the later series. The common belief is 6mm on those, and anywhere from 6.8 to a little over 7 mm on the newer models.

It is the famous so-called "sandwich crystal". If you make a search for it you will find some posts about it here.
Also the rep makers are currently heading towards this kind of crystal, that is probably the only way to go to genuine-like date magnification.
A few reps already have it: some submersibles and, curiously, the low-cost (and now retired) 104 from (e.g.) Josh.

And yes, I echo HauteHippie about how great it would be to know the real diameter of the cyclops on the 063...

I've seen one as well, not sure for what model, though. The mag piece was inserted into a sort of a rehaut on the main crystal, which was as far as I can remember not deeper than 0.5mm, if that.

The whole "design" left me a bit puzzled at the time, since I believed until then that the mag cyclops on PAM crystals were glued-on on underside.

Although the cyclop was inserted into the hole in the crystal, there was no majorly visible border line beetwen them, the tolerance must have been in microns.

cheers,

babola

Although the cyclop was inserted into the hole in the crystal, there was no majorly visible border line beetwen them, the tolerance must have been in microns.

Exactly! That makes for the main trouble to rep makers to manufacture that kind of crystal.

Wow, no respect for the original watchmaster cyclops. :laugh:

You mean the "watchmen cyclopses," watchman.
IMO, tor the 063 and 029, the watchmen are the best, for all subs and later model PAMs the HauteHippie is the only way to go, and the 27/28 need sssurfer cyclopses to be 1:1.

for the 063 and 029, the watchmen are the best, for all subs and later model PAMs the HauteHippie is the only way to go, and the 27/28 need sssurfer cyclopses to be 1:1.

No better way to summarize in one single line both anything everyone needs to know, and two years of headaches by the all of us, J.! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif