When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Explorer II Help?

Jameason

I just received my Explorer II from TT its the ROLEXP2003B and I am a little confused on the movement. I have done searches but I cant find any answers to my questions, the date changes with the hour hand at the 6 o'clock pos. and also I was reading that the GMT had could be used as a different time zone but it seems that the hand moves half speed as the hour hand?? Could someone please shed some light on this for me?? Thanks for the help!

The date changing when the hour hand passes 6 tells me that the hands were put on incorectly, not hard to fix if you can decase the movement and remove the hands and re fit them.

To use this watch for a second time zone you need to first set the main time for where you are in my case this is germany, i then press the crown in untill it is in the winding position and by turning the crown anti clock wise the GMT hand can then be turned to the required time (24hour time) in another part of the world, (By turning clock wise i would be setting the date) in my case Uk or GMT time, remember that the GMT hand would be read via the numerals on the bezel as it rotates once per dat and not twice like the hour hand, so now at a glance i can see the local time and the time using the GMT hand and the min hand see the 24hr time in my second time zone.

A Point to note is that i hav found that the GMT hand can start to lag after a couple of weeks and my need re-setting for example rather than being at 20:00 as per the example it may be at the 19:30 point.

As you can see below my ex 2 with the same movement as yours shows the local time to be 8 56 PM becase it is dark out side, my GMT hand is point ing just before 20:00 so the GMT time or second time zone is 19:56.

There is a version or this watch that has the correct hand stack and alows the hour hand to be independently set as per the original, so for instance a pilot who works on GMT time would set the GMT time and then be able to set the hour hand to his local time where ever in the world he is with out disturbing the GMT hand, a function not available with this 2836 one we have. On the good side though the reps with the independant hour hand have proved to be unreliable in the part this version is a good runner and reliable.

post-1258-1199477388_thumb.jpg

Is your ExpII the correct hand stack version (i.e GMT hand placed over hour hand)?

If it is, the date change will follow the GMT hand (24h hand). You can solve this by setting the GMT hand to follow your local time.

The date changing when the hour hand passes 6 tells me that the hands were put on incorectly, not hard to fix if you can decase the movement and remove the hands and re fit them.

To use this watch for a second time zone you need to first set the main time for where you are in my case this is germany, i then press the crown in untill it is in the winding position and by turning the crown anti clock wise the GMT hand can then be turned to the required time (24hour time) in another part of the world, (By turning clock wise i would be setting the date) in my case Uk or GMT time, remember that the GMT hand would be read via the numerals on the bezel as it rotates once per dat and not twice like the hour hand, so now at a glance i can see the local time and the time using the GMT hand and the min hand see the 24hr time in my second time zone.

A Point to note is that i hav found that the GMT hand can start to lag after a couple of weeks and my need re-setting for example rather than being at 20:00 as per the example it may be at the 19:30 point.

As you can see below my ex 2 with the same movement as yours shows the local time to be 8 56 PM becase it is dark out side, my GMT hand is point ing just before 20:00 so the GMT time or second time zone is 19:56.

There is a version or this watch that has the correct hand stack and alows the hour hand to be independently set as per the original, so for instance a pilot who works on GMT time would set the GMT time and then be able to set the hour hand to his local time where ever in the world he is with out disturbing the GMT hand, a function not available with this 2836 one we have. On the good side though the reps with the independant hour hand have proved to be unreliable in the part this version is a good runner and reliable.

Do you know how much an average watch smith charge to fix the hand location? I don't have the tools or the experience to do such work myself...

Edited by Jameason

Should not be a lot, 30 min work at most, question is do you know a rep freindly one, I see you are not in eu but if you ask the members they may be able to recomend some one local to you.

I had a local guy fix the timing on one of my Day-Dates. He might be able too fix this as well.