When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How to remove marks for a watch?

marianetty

Hello, first of all Happy New Year to all readers.

I have a Rolex that has some marks. Want to remove them but not sure how to do it.

First you have to file them, and after that you have to polish them right???

But how, with which tools???

I have a dremel and some tools.

Here is the photo of what I want to remove:

marca2.JPG

And this are the tools I have:

herramienta.JPG

Can someone tell me step by step what I have to do and with what tools???

Do I need something more ????

Thank you

Mariano

It is hard to tell from the pic how deep the scratches really are. I would start off with a file and try to get as much of the scratch out as possible. Then switch over to some 250 grit sandpaper wrapped around a popsicle stick. Between the file and the 250 you should be able to get most of it out. Once the scratch/gouge is gone the 250 will leave its own scratches so you will need to progress up the sandpaper food chain to finer grits until you match the brushed texture of the rest of the watch.

I would avoid using a dremmel if at all possible. Power tools have a tendancy to grab edges and pull themselves across surfaces you do not want them to hit. Especially being right there on the CG I can see the dremmel pulling itself into the area where the crown goes and causing more headaches than it is worth. It might take a bit longer by hand but in the end you will have a better finish and less chances of screwing something else up.

If you have never used a dremil on small things it is best to start on scrap metel, i used to make belt buckles and it is amazing how deep into the wooden garage wall a dremil will fire a 1" share peice of aluminum! Go the hand route untill you realy know what the dremil will do and what the tools are for, better to go slow and steady than fast and [censored] it up!