When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Explorer II 1655

bertieng

I saw this claim in one of the 1655 auction on the bay. They even opened the case back to show the movement which clearly specified cal. 1570.

"Movement is the 26 jewel automatic winding Rolex Caliber 1570, which is adjusted to five positions and temperature. This movement is a C.O.S.C. Certified Chronometer."

Is this true? Always thought the 1655 should be equipped with the cal. 1575.

Is the cal. 1570 also a GMT movement?

I've read that some 1575 are indeed marked 1570, so that's certainly possible. I'm not an expert but I believe it's also a matter of a few different parts for the GMT function.

The guy that owns Jewelryandwatch.com will convert a 1570 to a GMT as part of his service building a franken 1655.

Three movement versions:

- 1570 - a non date three hand mvoement with hours minutes and seconds, found in Rolex 1016 f.i.

- 1575 - a date movement with hours, minutes and seconds - found in 1665, 1680 f.i.

- 1575GMT - a date movement with 24hrs hand, minutes, seconds - found in 1675, 1655.

All three are labelled 1570 on the autowinder bridge.

Thanks for the explanation.

In this case, is it possible to tranform a 1575 into a 1575GMT. What parts are needed to be swapped out? I think it is easier to get the 1575, but so far I have none of sale for 1575GMT.

Thanks.