When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Slipping Minute Hand on my Omega SMP Chrono...

DuDro

Need some advice...

I swapped movements on my Omega SMP Chrono project, but now the minute hand keeps slipping off the post. After setting it, I let run for a couple of hours to see how it does.

Everything works fine until I gently shake the watch to wind it. Upon one gentle shake, the minute hand comes loose from the post. The before and after movements are both A7750, so the post size should be the same.

Has anyone else ever experienced this problem? New hands or a little bit of glue? :huh:

Your thoughts please...Thanks in advance!

Regards,

DuDro

I had a similar problem the other day on my speedy, when i reset it would come loose, i fastrend it on with a tiny drop of loctite thread lock, this crystalises and atches the hand nicely and is also removeable as it is not technicaly a glue, i used some thing like this one, less than a pin [censored] worth.

BTW this is just what i used and the experts may say other wise. you never know i may have [censored]ed mine up for the future

What Andy used is probably ok, but its bond may break while you are reinstalling the arm, which is usually when arms tend to break anyway. A slow-drying (30-60 minute) Epoxy is probably a better way to go since it creates a steel-like bond that will not come apart again. Just be careful to do as Andy suggested and use the point of a pin (viewed through a loupe) to apply the cement, being careful to apply it only to the point of contact where the underside of the hand intersects with the hand tube. I usually set the hand in some rodico or putty of some type to steady it while I apply the epoxy. Let it sit, undisturbed, for 24 hours & you should be back in business. While you are at it, I would do the rest of the hands since they are probably loosening themselves as I write this.