When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Replacing A 1950 Syncthetic Crytal

lefty47

I have purchased the Sapphire Crystal from Davidson for my 1950. I took it to a good reliable watch repair guy in town and he is stuck. When he took the Bezel off, it has an inner ridge holding the crystal in place. The attached poor quality picture should show you what I'm talking about. Anyway, my question is How do you get the crystal out of the Bezel? My watch guy is afraid to push too hard for fear of breaking the old crystal.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

post-800-1150308883_thumb.jpg

He needs the right size press tool that fits close to the edge of the crystal so as not to put pressure on the middle of the crystal. The Zigmeister had me make one up for my 212, It needs to be shaped something like this:

68913-33146.jpg

i dont want to be the smart one but when a watchmaker is asking me how to remove this bezel ,i think i will go to some one else.

Well,

It seems to me that the watch smith is not really very professional.I would go to another watch smith to do

the replacment.The most important point is wheter he got the correct and right size tool to perform the

task as the 127 crystal size is quite big.If he got it right,that is quite easy to remove and install the

crystal.

Good luck!

Well,

It seems to me that the watch smith is not really very professional.I would go to another watch smith to do

the replacment.The most important point is wheter he got the correct and right size tool to perform the

task as the 127 crystal size is quite big.If he got it right,that is quite easy to remove and install the

crystal.

Good luck!

I can do the swap for you! PM if you are interested.

JOn

This must be a tricky operation. I use 2 watchsmiths--one refuses to remove crystals on my reps, the other makes me sign a little piece of paper that says I won't hold him responsible if it breaks---that being said, smith #2 has removed about a dozen crystals w/o incident.

Guest greeetz

Hi everybody,

I've got a similar problem with a 127.

I'm happy with my glas but I would like to know how to remove the bezel from the case?

maybe somebody can help ?

thx, greeetz

Hi everybody,

I've got a similar problem with a 127.

I'm happy with my glas but I would like to know how to remove the bezel from the case?

maybe somebody can help ?

thx, greeetz

There seem to be two different types of fiddy case out there. The older versions 1-4 have the more traditional layout of a bezel held in to the case with a nylon I ring. You should see a small notch on the edge of the bezel - insert a thin blade into the notch and keep working around the bezel pressing hard until it starts to lift. Carefull as it can then pop off and there is a risk of damaging the dial/hands. The other type of case/bezel which I have seen more recently is a friction metal/metal fit and very difficult to remove. Same technique as above but there is no nothch to get you started!! very sore on the thumbs!!

I have removed several 127 crystals now without any breakages. Davidsens crystals are absolutley superb - I recently fitted one for someone that had a mineral glass which had shattered. Crucial thing when fitting the new crystal is to line it up carefully before pressing it into the bezel.