When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Major Price Increases

Doninaz

Have the prices gone up lately? YES. Are the prices still reasonable? PROBABLY.

I believe simple economics and supply and demand are the major forces at work here rather than unbridled greed (even so, as a free market American and a businessman I agree with Gordon Gecko that "...greed, for the lack of a better word, is a GOOD thing").

Still, I have been able to shop around and find good (if not better quality) reps at lower prices from reputable dealers other than the Cartel.

HammerTime

Still, I have been able to shop around and find good (if not better quality) reps at lower prices from reputable dealers other than the Cartel.

Nicely put. The Cartel can be avoided fpr the same products at a lesser price. Eventually as thelr business begins to stagnate (because of the economic downturn in the USA) prices they ask will drop.

Since I've been browsing this forum, I have been wondering, "How many of the members here have been to asia and bought watches there?."

With so much purchasing power, one would imagine that the forum commands low prices, but this is not the case. I think the problem is that enthusiasts always overvalue things that are important to them. Last summer I spent about 300 usd in malaysia, and I ended up with a collection that this forum would probably value at $1200-$1500.

If someone wants to spend $120 or $150 on a $30 watch and by doing so avoid hassles and ensure to some degree that the product is QC'd then, by all means, go ahead. What I find astonishing is that many memebers here spend thousands on their respective collections when, with the same money, they could have had a vacation in asia AND come back with the same watches.

WTF!!!?!?!?!

I run a profitable business on a 30-50% margin. The "collectors" that are at the source can sell retail in asia for 30% of what they charge you guys. I have no problem with business, but I'm a fair business man, a 500% margin is a scalping, especially with customers that do so much repeat business.

So, my question is this; Why aren't members banding together to reduce prices?

Bingo. It's the hype and the dope they are hooked on. Members themselves call it 'their addiction'. We all know what addicts will pay for their 'stuff.fix'....the sky's the limit.

High prices? Ha! Don't buy them and quit whining!

The point I was trying to make was that the exact same reps that I bought a little over a year ago have go up exhobitantly. Not that there are are better quality reps selling for more. And as for the "don't buy them" comment, that's exactly what I said, I won't buy them. As for the "quit whining", I came back to the forum looking for the current contact info for sources and when I saw the prices I was surprised. I don't think my comment was improper considering that this is a forum to talk about reps and good sources for them. Dealers are free to sell for whatever they want. But, they have lost my business. I can afford to pay whatever I want but I don't like being exploited.