When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

In Need of Advice for Watch Movement Problem

alant

Hi dear friends, one of my watches running on the Asian unitas-6497 hand wind movement is having some issues. I hope you all could give me some advice as I'm not sure what could be wrong with it. Here are the details:

1. Watch was fully wind the night before but within like 12 hours the movement will stopped moving by itself.

2. So I took the watch up from my table top to examine it further, I hear no clicking sound.

3. So I decided to unscrew the crown and wanted to try to wind the watch and check. But even before I wind the watch, the watch started moving by itself again and the clicking sound was also back too. So I just adjusted the time and all worked fine again.

4. On another day, the watch was also fully wind up the night before but next day when I wanted to wear it, it was not moving again. This time round even more amazing, I just took the watch up from my table top, I looked at the back of the watch to see the movement inside and then flipped it to the front, the watch started moving by itself again!

5. And with some advice, I decided to rest the watch at various positions when I'm not wearing it. This is to check if it is due to certain position it is being placed when at rest will cause this same issue or not.

6. And so far, from the past few days of observations and trial and error, it seems that when I placed the watch at two particular positions over night, usually the next morning the watch movement will stop moving.

7. However, I still can't draw any conclusions as I'm not an expert in this area and I really don't know what's wrong with it.

So does anyone knows what is the problem? And any advice to follow up from here? Thanks in advance, I would really appreciate any feedback and advice given. And of course I certainly wish that this watch could be working normally soon.

thank god it is not a asia 7750 - or you would have a big problem :D

maybe the problem on your movement is the stem (to long - to short?)

try this... put the stem out (if you would change the time)... let them in this position anc check if it stopped again?

thank god it is not a asia 7750 - or you would have a big problem :D

maybe the problem on your movement is the stem (to long - to short?)

try this... put the stem out (if you would change the time)... let them in this position anc check if it stopped again?

This is exactly what i was thinking as i read the post. I had a submariner doing a similar thing and it was simply due to a incorrect stem length. When the crown was all the way in, the movement would stop. if you undid the crown a 1/4 turn or less, the movement would run again. Easy fix. Not sure if this was a normal issue for this specific movement. Im sure the movement had bigger problems but this was an easy short term repair.

dizz

Hi Neil, thanks for nice gesture! Quite surprised to see you in here! By the way could you kindly send me the mailing address either via pm or email so that I can arrange for the courier to send the watch back to you. Ya 'shitty' things do happen maybe like 1 in a 100 or 1 in a 1000, sometimes really have to depend on luck man. But luckily having good dealer makes all the difference. Once again thanks for the kind assistance.