When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM crystal press advice

bazonkers

I'm slowly gathering tools to work on my PAMs like hand removers/setters, etc. I'm looking to swap out the crystals on some DSN cases that aren't supposed to have AR. Being that DSN has non-AR crystals now, this is something I think I can do with the proper tools.

I've been told the crystal can be popped out from the inside with mh thumbs. I'll need a crystal press to install the new ones. Does anyone have any advice on what to get to do this job properly? Thanks.

I'm slowly gathering tools to work on my PAMs like hand removers/setters, etc. I'm looking to swap out the crystals on some DSN cases that aren't supposed to have AR. Being that DSN has non-AR crystals now, this is something I think I can do with the proper tools.

I've been told the crystal can be popped out from the inside with mh thumbs. I'll need a crystal press to install the new ones. Does anyone have any advice on what to get to do this job properly? Thanks.

Thumbs don't always work from the inside. Get a press with a good selection of hollow dies. Since PAM crystals are domed flat dies will be of no use.

If you only want to press sapphire crystals on your Pams' a press like this with nylon dies ( make sure you get dies to suit the size crystals, as a lot of presse come with only smaller die sets) will do the job. These are presure friction style presses, and most suppliers have an economy model or there are many on the 'bay.

(bottom photo on this page from Cas Ker)

post-13-1200826287_thumb.png

However, if you want something a bit more versatile, which can do multiple jobs, one like this from GS, which operate in a different manner ( the crystal is compressed to reduce the OD and then the watch case is slipped off or on to the crystal), are a better compromise.

post-13-1200826467_thumb.jpg

post-13-1200826352_thumb.jpg

GS agents and BB agents will sell these types, although they are pretty pricey new.

They come up fairly regularly on the 'bay and will sell from $10 - $100! As there are various models with a wide range of die sets, be very aware of what you are getting.

Details are on the GS site

http://www.gssupplies.com/hand_inserter.html

Offshore

@baz,

It depends on the style of press, but broadly you need die sets around the OD of your crystals.

So if you are pressing say 38mm crystals, you need die sets spanning say 35-40mm.

It is all really subjective, and very dependent on the press type/style.

Measure the OD of a few of your Pam crystals (even the OD where it fits into the case)(which whilst not accurate, will give you a better idea)

Then when you settle on the press type you want, make sure a set of dies in that range is included.

A lot of the ebay cheaper sets, only cover crystals to around 32- 34mm, and would therefore be useless for larger crystals.

offshore

@baz,

As I stagger round the'bay, on my nightly walk.....I note these posted today.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GS-Pocket-Watch-Wristw...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/A-very-fine-older-GS-C...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vtg-Watch-Repair-G-S-T...1QQcmdZViewItem

So there is a great starting point... now do your homework... ask questions....RESEARCH :p

There are also many of the "cheapies" up from around $10. Finally you will live with your purchase/decision.

S'pose its time for my line................See my siggy!

Offshore