When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1680 bracelet

brsmith1

Hey there, just picked up elprimerozen's 1680 MBW. Watch has quite a few mod's already done on it including gen insert and tropic. I've already ordered a gen crown & tube.

Question concerns the braclet. I keep seeing these offers on sites such as EBAY, but there is no way this can be correct.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rolex-93150-580-Submar...1QQcmdZViewItem

Think it is worth sourcing a gen bracelet or do you find the original MBW's one to be fine? Also, just asking if you prefer the steel oR the NATO look for this classic piece. Hope all is well with everyone across the world!

Edited by brsmith1

NATO strap is a nice look for this, but steel bracelet is a totally different look.

Steel does contrast with the black color of the dial and distinguishes it.

Black NATO strap looks in harmony with the dial and more sporty but that's not always what you want from your sub...especially when wearing a suit.

Sometimes i used nato straps on modern sub and gmt II because i found that their bracelets had a better use in the kitchen as bread cutters...but after some time i switched back to 'em.

Although NATO straps have a wonderful feel and fit on the wrist, when a nylon nato strap gets wet, you're gonna really hate it. At least I did.

I didn't quit though buying NATO straps...I will also try leather NATO...boys play with their toys :D

P.S. About the ebay bracelet...can't really tell if it's correct, i need a closer picture of the end links outer side...but seems correct or very close to correct.

EDIT: Oh and what's wrong with your MBW bracelet...? I think they are nice...

Edited by spa

Guest carlsbadrolex

Not only is it worth every penny of the current high bid, but you will have some competition. I will be bidding up to $600 for it... It would look quite nice on my MBW also!

Not only is it worth every penny of the current high bid, but you will have some competition. I will be bidding up to $600 for it... It would look quite nice on my MBW also!

Don't make me do $601.50 on you

Don't make me do $601.50 on you

Only kidding. It is going on NATO for a while, putting money aside for a vintage dial...

Guest carlsbadrolex

This is one of those rare occasions where I really would appreciate you out-bidding me. I just ordered a gen vintage bezel insert, a gen Singer dial (redial, but pretty good) and a gen tropic.

I really DO NOT need a bracelet too, but it would be nice I guess.

As I don't own a 6538 I modded my rep sub by removing the original ss bracelet, fitting heavy duty spring bars and a 'James Bond' (black and grey striped) NATO strap. In the movie Dr. No the strap is 18mm on a 20mm spring bar so there is a gap allaround which looks odd, so mine is 20mm. Incidentally, does anyone know if anyone reputable is selling a nice Sub 6538 rep? B)

If you are putting serious money & effort into a 1680 project watch, I would go the extra distance & get a gen bracelet (I have never been much of a NATO fan). I think the difference in fit & feel over any rep bracelet is worth the cost for a well constructed franken. I do not have a Sub, but here is my DRSD with its appropriately battered & dented gen 93150 bracelet

Image52.jpg

Interesting, Freddy-

I've been debating this one myself for quite a while, and I think I'm going to end up springing for the gen eventually. It seems that the rep bracelets just can't get close to the finish and feel of the gen.

It's going to be expensive- 50% of what I paid for my 1680 for a bracelet...hmmm....maybe I'll rethink it?