When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Reps vs Gens

kenmasters

I've read over and over the threads regarding the little things that are off on most reps.. dial, font, pearl, CGs, lume, bezel inserts, bezel teeth, midlinks, rehaut, 316L steel, etc. etc.

I don't own a gen and I may never want to (well i guess i shouldn't say never) :) So I wanna know this for sure..

Bottomline:

If I had a gen or a friend had a gen, could they tell it from the rep immediately, or would it take a min or so with a careful eye? Lets compare something like a Noobmariner and a Gen for example.

Which group of people could spot a rep?

Your average Gen Owner

Your average Gen Owner with their gen right next to your rep

A Gen Rollie Geek

A Rep Rollie Geek ;)

Your average AD Sales Clerk

AD Watch Inspector

Your Average Watchsmith

The hot blond who can sniff out money

Your boss who knows you how much you make

:D

Thanks

Ken

First things first--you have to be the kind of guy (or gal) that could feasably sport a multi-thousand dollar watch. If anyone takes notice the first thing they are going to do (assuming they care) is mentally total you up--your clothes, car, job, background, accent, poise, shoes--and make a snap judgement. This is probably 10 times more imprtant than your recessed pearl or hands too short or even seconds at 3 (the horror!)

Now, assuming they didn't just mentally say "HA who does this guy think he's fooling?", here's my guess about these folks:

1) Your average Gen Owner--will be stoked to find another watch dude

2) Your average Gen Owner with their gen right next to your rep--still won't care, unless your rep is REALLY bad see #1

3) A Gen Rollie Geek--cover it with your cuff, 99% of all Rolexes are fake you know.

4) A Rep Rollie Geek--says "Oooohhh, is that an MBK!!??!!?"

5) Your average AD Sales Clerk--will open the safe for you and probably give you a happy ending in the back room to make a sale

6) AD Watch Inspector--Are you TRYING to get busted?

7) Your Average Watchsmith--don't let them open it

8) The hot blond who can sniff out money--see #5, replace "safe" with "skirt"

10) Your boss who knows you how much you make--good luck with that raise, he now thinks you are a corporate spy

It also depends on what rep you're talking about. With a modern rolex sub, like was used as the example, I'm relatively un-interested in whether it's gen or fake. I am not too excited about those in the wild. Everyone knows that they're the most highly faked watch, and believe it or not, most people are aware or are becoming aware that there are high quality replica watches/handbags, etc...