When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Panerai Deployant

The Mentalist

Ok, I finally managed to track down one of those Panerai double deployants (thanks to Paso). It looks great but is it me, but is this the most uncomfortable, badly designed P.O.S. buckle ever devised?!

A few observations:

1. It does not really fit most leather straps as the straps tend to be too thick where it overlaps and you don't get that satisfying 'click' you hear and feel with most deployants. It locks but because the straps are too thick the buckle needs to be pressed hard to make it engage and most of the time you don't really know if it has locked properly. It's this sponginess that is really irritating.

2. The springbar is a nightmare to install especially on thicker straps and can easily be bent.

3. It's so bloody uncomfortable! It's not really curved to match the human wrist and the edges dig in and chafe.

4. The butterfly configuration is very fiddly to put on one handed and requires some serious digital dexterity.

I've had it all of a couple of weeks and worn it only once. I'm going back to the regular tang and buckle.

Ok, I finally managed to track down one of those Panerai double deployants (thanks to Paso). It looks great but is it me, but is this the most uncomfortable, badly designed P.O.S. buckle ever devised?!

A few observations:

1. It does not really fit most leather straps as the straps tend to be too thick where it overlaps and you don't get that satisfying 'click' you hear and feel with most deployants. It locks but because the straps are too thick the buckle needs to be pressed hard to make it engage and most of the time you don't really know if it has locked properly. It's this sponginess that is really irritating.

2. The springbar is a nightmare to install especially on thicker straps and can easily be bent.

3. It's so bloody uncomfortable! It's not really curved to match the human wrist and the edges dig in and chafe.

4. The butterfly configuration is very fiddly to put on one handed and requires some serious digital dexterity.

I've had it all of a couple of weeks and worn it only once. I'm going back to the regular tang and buckle.

I agree - they look nice but I always end up with a perfect replica embossed into the inside of my wrist after a few hours of wear !

@Mentalist:

The Pannie deployant was never meant to be used with thick normal tang&buckle straps you find on most of the reps or gens. The Panerai deployant requires a special leather strap thick at the lugs tapering in thickness to thin where it meets the deployant. When purchasing an aftermarket or genuine strap for Panerai, if you have a deployant, you have to specify that it is a strap for a deployant. I had a Pannie 196 rep with a deployant bought from TTK 2 years ago when they first came out, I ordered a nice alligator strap from an aftermarketer who carried deployant specific straps. I now have a genuine Panerai 104 with deployant, came with two leather straps, both are tapered thin in thickness to work with the deployant. I might add, the rep. deployant that came with TTK's 196 worked better than the genuine deployant I got with my 104.

Regards,

Omni