When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM253 Questions?

mseanschmidt

So, everyone convinced me to go with the 253 in lieu of the 222. Thanks for all your input! I have a few questions:

1. This may be a dumb NEWBIE question but what does the REG & TM mean on the dial?

2. The blue illuminated second hand is really a cool feature that several of you noted. Is it okay to let the second hand run all the time or should it be locked at 12? Andrew at TT recommended that you keep the second hand locked at 12 so you don't wear out the chrono. Any input?

3. Is the Panerai labeled black divers band classic and something all Panerai owners wear or should I go with a different band?

4. How close of a rep is this 253 from TT to the original PAM253?

Thanks for your help!!!

post-10566-1201450193_thumb.jpg

The "Reg. T.M." stands for Registered Trademark. Panerai has patented their crown guard system, IIRC.

I think the prevailing logic is that running the chrono feature all the time will increase the wear on your movement. I wouldn't let it run all the time, personally. The sub-dial at 9 o'clock is the running seconds display.

What strap you use is a completely personal choice. If you like the rubber, I would think about shelling out the money for a gen rubber strap. All of the rep rubber PAM straps that I've had have been mediocre at best. Although Angus' new "ultimate" or whatever rubber strap might be better.

The rep from Trusty is pretty good. The only flaw that jumps right out at me is that the markers are thinner than they should be. I don't know if any of the dials with thicker markers are still available.

Have fun!

So, everyone convinced me to go with the 253 in lieu of the 222. Thanks for all your input! I have a few questions:

1. This may be a dumb NEWBIE question but what does the REG & TM mean on the dial?

2. The blue illuminated second hand is really a cool feature that several of you noted. Is it okay to let the second hand run all the time or should it be locked at 12? Andrew at TT recommended that you keep the second hand locked at 12 so you don't wear out the chrono. Any input?

3. Is the Panerai labeled black divers band classic and something all Panerai owners wear or should I go with a different band?

4. How close of a rep is this 253 from TT to the original PAM253?

Thanks for your help!!!

I have the pam253 from Silix. Make sure you don't order the "swiss" version from Trustytime.. the dial is extremely inaccurate on that model. I dont usually run the chrono hand, because i personally think it looks cooler at 12. It's a great watch and i've had it for almost 7 months now.

If it's accuracy to the gen that you're looking for then this watch is not it. To start.. the watch does not have a flyback complication and will only function as a normal chrono. apart from that, some minor dial flaws are what keep this watch from being aesthetically perfect.

overall it's great. Enjoy it!