When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Would you try this on your rep PVD?

Guest avitt

Well... Your key is most likely made from plated brass or aluminum, so it would be pretty soft, but yes, the DLC coatings are very durable.

We use TiAlN (Titanium Aluminum Nitride) coating for machine components that rub together, and it holds up very nicely :)

I applied it to my watch here:

img0306resizejn6.jpg

It's also used as coatings for wood and metal cutting tooling, so you can be pretty sure that the stuff will last a long time.

I'm not sure how the ADLC coating compares to the TiAln, but if it's anything close... it will stand up to much more than keys!

Well... Your key is most likely made from plated brass or aluminum, so it would be pretty soft, but yes, the DLC coatings are very durable.

Yup, the key is brass, or something similar...but in theory, it should work with anything softer than a sapphire :good:

I applied it to my watch here:

img0306resizejn6.jpg

That watch is a beauty :thumbsupsmileyanim: I remember when you were working on that one. BTW, how did you end up filling the painted parts of the bezel?

I'm not sure how the ADLC coating compares to the TiAln, but if it's anything close... it will stand up to much more than keys!

ALDC is a bit harder (4000 HV vs. 2700 for TiAlN), and is applied using PACVD vs PVD...Aside from those differences, they're both nice looking, hard, dark surfaces :thumbsupsmileyanim:

That watch is a beauty :thumbsupsmileyanim: I remember when you were working on that one. BTW, how did you end up filling the painted parts of the bezel?

I was going to say the same thing.... Didn't he end up using a lacquer pen - or something like that... Can't remember the name, but I remember that it worked almost like magic.

EDIT: Lacquer Stik - I think that's the ticket.