When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Slipping gear when winding Pam 111H

Beano

I have a Pam 111H (Swiss movement) that for 7months has worked fine. Yesterday when I came to wind it, things felt odd. When I checked the mechanism through the display back, I noticed that the gears appear to be slipping when I try and wind the watch.

Does this sound terminal or can it be fixed..... would it be cost effective to repair?

Thanks in advance for advice.

Beano

How do you mean slipping? when you wound the crown was it turning back once you let go?

Hard to tell from the description, could be that the click has disengaged from the ratchet wheel?

Bazz - Yes that would describe it exactly. Is this an 'easy' fix for a replica friendly watchsmith?

Should be an easy fix if that is the case.

I have attached a pic of a similar movement pointing out the click, it's job is to stop the ratchet wheel turning back after winding. When it is operating properly it should make a clicking noise as the ratchet wheel teeth turn past it.

rose.jpg

Bass it might be similar in function but aspheticaly it is [censored]ing stunning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by the way i had a similar prblem with an asian and all it was, was the main gear securing screw was not quite tight and the clich was not engaging on the teeth very well, i nipped the screw up and now it is fine.

Should be an easy fix if that is the case.

I have attached a pic of a similar movement pointing out the click, it's job is to stop the ratchet wheel turning back after winding. When it is operating properly it should make a clicking noise as the ratchet wheel teeth turn past it.

rose.jpg

Thanks guys - I will have a go at that. Nice movemeny by the way!!

Beano

Thanks guys - I will have a go at that. Nice movemeny by the way!!

Beano

Success - got the back off the 111h and check the clicker - it seemed ok. However, the small cog (on Bazz's movement picture the one lower left) was loose. Tightened it, check the winding, replaced the back and it's now on my wrist!!

Very happy.

Thanks again to Bazz and to the RWG - a valued resource.

Beano

No worries Beano, glad you got it sorted without any dramas. The one you screwed back down is the crown wheel and it could have been that the ratchet wheel or the click, you have to watch the crown wheel as it has left handed thread to stop the screw coming loose as you wind the watch.

And as for that movement, well it's just gorgeous!

Rosemovement.jpg