When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Have you had a missed PAM opportunity?

anton

In the spirit of the ongoing debate of "how many gen PAMs do you own" or "wishlists" or "etc.", I'd like to ask you all if you've ever missed an opportunity to get a PAM only to find that you're still looking for that one, with no luck?

Also, I thought this question might be a great way for me to jump right back in to the forum mix, as I've been busy with the real world for the past couple months; and now just settling down.

To start the thread off, I'll give you two recent stories:

There was a collector from the Providence Area who had a 162F and offered it up for sale, but being that the offering price at the time was in line with the 188/196, and coupled with my lack of PAM prices and the tendency to rise/fall, I thought the 196 was a better choice.

Four months later, the 196 has not risen in value whereas the 162 can fetch 30% above it's MSRP in 2004.

--------------------------------------

A couple of days ago, another collector was offering a DSN Fiddy here and we all know that that is one hot commodity. I wanted to be in tune with the collector to purchase it, but someone just HAD to step in right before I DID to purchase! Now I may not see another Fiddy for sale for a while!

Talk about the sand falling from my fingers!

Not exactly a missed opportunity but I bought a 2893 029 a couple of years ago and then soon afterwards tried to sell it for about $300 but didn't really get much interest. Now it has been modded by The Zigmeister, with a gen crown, new cyclops, new datewheel and a relume. Needless to say it's not for sale any longer and it is one of my favourite watches.

Sure, I missed the opportunity to save some money as I bought reps that arrived different from what I ordered.

My first trip to Italy (pre-vendome days) someone showed me a watch shop in Milan that was selling a used really big watch. It turned out to be an A series Luminor and I couldn't believe they would ask the equivalent of almost $3000 in Lire. I also thought it was way too big and no one would ever wear such a gimmicky watch. Oops...