When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tag Monaco spotted in film ...

Ham 'n' Pickle

All,

just recently watched a preview of new film 'The Bank Job' - set in 60's London East End, a group of small time villians get the chance of a lifetime to pull a big bank job, plot twists involve saucy photos of a royal, blackmail photos of most current MP's and the help/hinderance of MI5 and various local hoods.

Quite an entertaining film with some good work by a varied cast.

Anyway, late in the film there is a very big product placement of a Tag Monaco in blue/white, the Steve McQueen watch, that the lead character is wearing. The Charater is a small-time crook, a used car salesman by trade, a little bit down on his luck and being chased for a couple of thousand pounds he owes to a dodgy money-lender so I was just wondering is it likely he would be wearing a really tasty watch ?

Obviously the (gen) Monaco now is pretty desirable and whilst not huge money still more than your average joe would pay for a watch so would this be the same in the 60's or is it likely that this sort of character would own a Monaco ?

Ham 'n' Pickle.

Obviously the (gen) Monaco now is pretty desirable and whilst not huge money still more than your average joe would pay for a watch so would this be the same in the 60's or is it likely that this sort of character would own a Monaco ?

Hey H-n-P. You don't post often, but when you do, it's always interesting. :p

I think we have to get rid of this idea in our minds, that characters in films will be able to afford the watches they do. Clearly, even in period pieces, actors wear watches their characters could never have afforded.

I am thinking of the vintage Vulcain in Atonement worn by (the largely working class) James McAvoy.

And I kept yelling during Gridiron Gang that how can a high school football coach at a juvie facility be able to afford a Panerai!

They can do that because most people who are not into watches don't notice. It's just a watch. I'm guessing that's the case with the Monaco, though I haven't seen The Bank Job.