When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Trying to find a cheap homage watch for a friend

old skool

A friend of mine has less than $200 to spend on a Panerai homage watch. It can say Marina Militare but not Panerai. Chinese movement is fine. I realize the lume won't be the best, it won't be pressure tested, etc.

I personally have told him to not consider Helenarou on Ebay based on experiences I have read about online.

Are there any other options? Obviously accuracy to gen is less critical. If it comes down to it, he can consider doing the CG and CG lever mods himself at some point.

Thanks for the help.

A friend of mine has less than $200 to spend on a Panerai homage watch. It can say Marina Militare but not Panerai. Chinese movement is fine. I realize the lume won't be the best, it won't be pressure tested, etc.

I personally have told him to not consider Helenarou on Ebay based on experiences I have read about online.

Are there any other options? Obviously accuracy to gen is less critical. If it comes down to it, he can consider doing the CG and CG lever mods himself at some point.

Thanks for the help.

I bought a PVD'd 44mm case from Helenarou and it's really good. I guess it might be a fluke? I dunno, but the CG level is very firm, almost like a gen, and the crystal is very good too. The only thing is that the CG lever is not fully PVD'd. There a section that didn't get the treatment, but other than that I was impressed with the quality.

I bought a PVD'd 44mm case from Helenarou and it's really good. I guess it might be a fluke? I dunno, but the CG level is very firm, almost like a gen, and the crystal is very good too. The only thing is that the CG lever is not fully PVD'd. There a section that didn't get the treatment, but other than that I was impressed with the quality.

Thanks for that info.

Sure thing, but I've read a lot of negative stuff about his stuff though. I bought a set of hands, a PVD'd case 44mm, and a 6497 movement from him. I'm going to see if I can put it together into something I can wear, but make sure you know that his stuff is labled Marina Militare and not Panerai. Good luck.

P.S. Now having purchased several reps, the CG and CG lever from Helenarou is abasolutely the best I've seen yet.

i have a marina militare gmt(029)from helenarou and it is awesome.it was under 200 bucks and is very nice.crown guard locks so tight you can't turn the crown without actually opening it.don't know if all reps are like this but my manual winds sure aren't.

i have a marina militare gmt(029)from helenarou and it is awesome.it was under 200 bucks and is very nice.crown guard locks so tight you can't turn the crown without actually opening it.don't know if all reps are like this but my manual winds sure aren't.

That's extactly the type of crown I got from him too. It's gen like in fit and how tight it closes. I don't even have a movement in the emtpy PVD'd case and the lever is still tight.

Oddly enough, you can find some decent pam homage watches on Timezone...or for a cheap asian pam with non panerai marking on the dial, try josh or andrew.

OK thanks. I'll check it out.

Guys, as for Helenarou, I will have to re-evaluate. Now, on the black watches he/she sells, how is the finish? How does it hold up?

OK thanks. I'll check it out.

Guys, as for Helenarou, I will have to re-evaluate. Now, on the black watches he/she sells, how is the finish? How does it hold up?

I can't say how the PVD will hold out as I haven't put the watch together yet, but it looks pretty good. Other than the fact that there's a small part of the CG lever that didn't get the PVD treatment, I'm pleased. Well, at least you can't see the un-treated part till you open the CG lever.