When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My PAM 024D is not really automatic

Bruce

I have a cosmetically nice PAM 024. OP 6507, BB 974970. I have had it for about 6 weeks. The watch keeps good time. I just noticed that even if I wear the watch constantly, it eventually just stops. I woke up this morning, looked at my wrist, and it was stopped. If I wind it by hand just a bit, it takes off again and seems to run just fine. I opened the back in a clean setting and moved the watch around observing the movement. The winding weight does move, but to me has more drag in one direction than the other, and does not alway seek the lowest position. I will post a photo of the movement in case this may be of help here. Any ideas? I hate to just replace it, the thing has a nice appearance.

post-7126-1204303421_thumb.jpg

It was listed as Asian 7750. Unfortunately the watch came from a seller on Ioffer (Robert in Thailand), and it's been a while so probably no way to get a replacement. I wonder if a Swiss 7750 would fit. Even so, the swap itself is honestly beyond me.

I'd agree with SS that the movement is defective, although, I would suggest that it might be repairable (keyword being 'might' :lol: ) If you have a jeweller/watchsmith near you who would work on a mechanical watch, it might be worth taking it in for an examination, as a repair might be cheaper (and less hassle) than a movement replacement (which in itself, from what you've said, you'd still need to source a watchsmith to perform) Best of luck with it :)

Thanks TeeJay. I really liked this one, but I doubt there is anyone near us here that I would trust. I see now that manual winding would do additional damage (The Zigmeisterzumba post today), so maybe I'll put on one that does work and look for diversion from my diversion.

As I enjoy actually wearing this watch for daily wear, I really like your suggestion. I would wear this one enough to warrant a rugged movement. However, I suspect the swap manuever is far beyond me. Volkwagen type 1 yes, watch no. Do you have a suggestion on someone who could do such a swap without doing incidental damage? I suspect from my reading here, they are quite rare.