When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Scratched hands

Ztech

I just picked up a PAM 127 Fiddy but the hour hand has got some significant scratches on it. How do I go about fixing it? Or is it even possible? It would seem that if I get the hand off the dial I could buff it out with a rouge cloth? It's really bothering me as it's so visible I wouldn't even want to wear it outside of the house. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Z

I just picked up a PAM 127 Fiddy but the hour hand has got some significant scratches on it. How do I go about fixing it? Or is it even possible? It would seem that if I get the hand off the dial I could buff it out with a rouge cloth? It's really bothering me as it's so visible I wouldn't even want to wear it outside of the house. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Z

If you got this from a collector send it back for replacement. In case you have a local watchsmit you can also ask the collector for a replacement hands set and compensation for the fix (not that expensive).

Thanks guys for your advice. Unfortunately, I bought it off of another forum member so I can't demand new hands.

Hmm... so it's not something I can do myself? Then I guess I'll have to look into sourcing some new hands for the watch because I don't want to stick that Fiddy in a drawer after I just paid $450 for it.

Are the scratches something that someone passing you in the street would notice? Or sitting next to you on the bus/train?

I understand totally the disappointment of receiving something which is less than perfect. But, please remember, these are not gen watches, they are only reps, and, often are less than perfect. Even gen watches can have imperfections. I once saw an Omega 2531.80 on sale in a jeweller, where the bezel insert not only had a scratch in the color, but, had a raised ridge in it as well, (about the same appearance as if a hair caught under a piece of clingfilm) The watch was still not in the window a week later, so either someone was happy to buy it, or, it was removed.

If you're that unhappy with the watch that you wouldn't wear it outside, send it back to the person you bought it from. If the scratches are that bad, they should have disclosed them prior to sale, and they should have been visible on any photos of the watch shown.

Personally, I'd say give it a little time. If, after 48 hours, you still feel the scratches are hideously noticeable, send it back, and name and shame the member for selling a watch in an unacceptable condition. If, on the other hand, you find you aren't really noticing the scratches, then keep it. Best of luck :)

PS I hope the crown guard wasn't on upside down ;):good:

Thanks guys for your advice. Unfortunately, I bought it off of another forum member so I can't demand new hands.

Hmm... so it's not something I can do myself? Then I guess I'll have to look into sourcing some new hands for the watch because I don't want to stick that Fiddy in a drawer after I just paid $450 for it.

A dial/hands set will cost you about $35,- excluding shipping (check Angus). I would go back to the buyer and see if he is willing to compensate - unless it was already clear in the advertising that the hands were scratched.

Thanks for all your advice. Unfortunately, the scratches are quite noticable. It's the first thing I noticed when I took the watch out of the box and looked at it under "normal" indoor lighting. The seller didn't disclose the fact that the hands were scratched and he won't take the watch back. Heck, the watch came filthy like it was just taken out of a dirty closet and it had a CG screw missing. Oh well, what can you do, you live and learn. I guess the guy was in more desperate need of the $450 than I. That's that...

I also do understand that this was a "used" watch and on top of that a rep, but I don't see why even a rep has to flash such a noticable fault to the world. Oh, did I tell you guys about the mark on the dial that also gives away the watch to anyone who looks at it at arms distance? I know it's a rep, but I don't want to wear something that screams it. So I guess, I'll either try to see if I can buff the scracthes off or source another set of hands, which by the way, what the seller told me to do if I wasn't happy with it. Umm.... yeah after he never mentioned anything about scratched hands or posted pics of it.

So now I'm looking to see if I can source some parts for it so I can, at least, salvage something from it. At least the movement and saphire AR crystal look pretty good, so that's a start. I just had the CG sanded down to something acceptable as the lever stuck way~~ out of the CG itself. Now it's somewhat acceptable.

By the way, it's been a full week since I e-mailed Angus and no reply. Is that normal for him?

Teejay = yep this one is upside down. Hey I'm learning. To date, this is the first 47mm PAM I've ever seen up close, rep or gen. Now that I'm paying more closer attention, I noticed that the chronos also have their CG's upside down too. :p

Thanks for all your advice. Unfortunately, the scratches are quite noticable. It's the first thing I noticed when I took the watch out of the box and looked at it under "normal" indoor lighting. The seller didn't disclose the fact that the hands were scratched and he won't take the watch back. Heck, the watch came filthy like it was just taken out of a dirty closet and it had a CG screw missing. Oh well, what can you do, you live and learn. I guess the guy was in more desperate need of the $450 than I. That's that...

I also do understand that this was a "used" watch and on top of that a rep, but I don't see why even a rep has to flash such a noticable fault to the world. Oh, did I tell you guys about the mark on the dial that also gives away the watch to anyone who looks at it at arms distance? I know it's a rep, but I don't want to wear something that screams it. So I guess, I'll either try to see if I can buff the scracthes off or source another set of hands, which by the way, what the seller told me to do if I wasn't happy with it. Umm.... yeah after he never mentioned anything about scratched hands or posted pics of it.

So now I'm looking to see if I can source some parts for it so I can, at least, salvage something from it. At least the movement and saphire AR crystal look pretty good, so that's a start. I just had the CG sanded down to something acceptable as the lever stuck way~~ out of the CG itself. Now it's somewhat acceptable.

By the way, it's been a full week since I e-mailed Angus and no reply. Is that normal for him?

Teejay = yep this one is upside down. Hey I'm learning. To date, this is the first 47mm PAM I've ever seen up close, rep or gen. Now that I'm paying more closer attention, I noticed that the chronos also have their CG's upside down too. :p

Were the scratches not visible on the sale photos of the watch? Same question about the mark on the dial...

Please tell me you didn't buy the watch without at least seeing a photo of it... :o

If the person is refusing to take it back, then the route is 'name and shame'. Take pictures, post them, and give the name. Doesn't matter who it is, how desperate they were for the money, or anything. Ripping off people is not cool, and people need to know that they can't be trusted.

If you can turn it into a project watch, or even have it repaired, it might not be a complete loss :)

Best of luck :)

Were the scratches not visible on the sale photos of the watch? Same question about the mark on the dial...

Please tell me you didn't buy the watch without at least seeing a photo of it... :o

If the person is refusing to take it back, then the route is 'name and shame'. Take pictures, post them, and give the name. Doesn't matter who it is, how desperate they were for the money, or anything. Ripping off people is not cool, and people need to know that they can't be trusted.

If you can turn it into a project watch, or even have it repaired, it might not be a complete loss :)

Wow! I just tried to find the "for sale" post from the seller so I could get the pics he originally posted, but for some wierd reason it's gone. Is it common practice that for sale posts are deleted after the sale is made???

Now I can't show the pics he originally posted. Am I missing something???

I have the PM's he and I traded back and forth. First, there was no mention of the mark on the dial. He said he never even saw it. Huh? I wonder. Also, before the payment he had mentioned something about hands so I asked him if the hands were scratched. He answered no. I was surprised to see the scratched hands when I got it. His answer was for me to go buy some new ones and that during the re-luming process hands get scratched. I did read that scratches do happen during re-luming, but shouldn't he had not lied about it when I asked him?

Personally, I'm [censored] about the situation, but I'm trying to put it behind me. He's a supporter of this forum and since I'm a noob I didn't want to shake the boat. Plus he could decide not to send me the missing CG screw. <_<

Wow! I just tried to find the "for sale" post from the seller so I could get the pics he originally posted, but for some wierd reason it's gone. Is it common practice that for sale posts are deleted after the sale is made???

Now I can't show the pics he originally posted. Am I missing something???

I have the PM's he and I traded back and forth. First, there was no mention of the mark on the dial. He said he never even saw it. Huh? I wonder. Also, before the payment he had mentioned something about hands so I asked him if the hands were scratched. He answered no. I was surprised to see the scratched hands when I got it. His answer was for me to go buy some new ones and that during the re-luming process hands get scratched. I did read that scratches do happen during re-luming, but shouldn't he had not lied about it when I asked him?

Personally, I'm [censored] about the situation, but I'm trying to put it behind me. He's a supporter of this forum and since I'm a noob I didn't want to shake the boat. Plus he could decide not to send me the missing CG screw. <_<

Okay, if you've got PMs, that will prove that he said the hands weren't scratched. Yes, hands can get scratched during re-luming, but, not to the extent that they render the watch unwearable. I wouldn't like to say how quickly sales photos disappear, it rather sounds like they were removed to cover his tracks. I have to admit, if the scratches are as bad as you describe, I'm surprized they didn't show up on the sales photos, but, that's neither here nor there, as he obviously told you that they weren't scratched (within acceptable limits for a relume) As you say, he shouldn't've lied to you when you asked him.

As for him being a supporter, that doesn't mean a thing. You have the watch, you can take photos of it, and post them, as well as the PMs, which should state the condition of the watch, compared to the condition of the watch you received. If he's sending you the CG screw, that must mean he knew it wasn't on the watch when he sent it. Another black mark. Don't let a tiny screw be held over your head as leverage. If you're not going to wear the watch anyway, what difference does it matter if the CG is screwed on? Yes, if you send the watch for repair, I'm sure a replacement screw could be fitted, but, that's not the point. The point, is that a supporter of this forum sold you a watch with badly scratched hands, a scratched dial, and, a CG which was missing a screw. That, is an outright scam, my friend, plain and simple, and not the behaviour which is tollerated here. Whoever they are, they'd be wise to accept the watch back and refund you the money, or, I suspect the admin and mods will be rather displeased... This is a community, where folks are supposed to look out for each other, and trade fairly, not ship out things they know to be defective.

My advice to you is take some decent photos, post them up, and name and shame. If the watch is as bad as you say, then no one else is going to tollerate a supporter who pulls such tricks on a newcomer.

Okay, if you've got PMs, that will prove that he said the hands weren't scratched. Yes, hands can get scratched during re-luming, but, not to the extent that they render the watch unwearable. I wouldn't like to say how quickly sales photos disappear, it rather sounds like they were removed to cover his tracks. I have to admit, if the scratches are as bad as you describe, I'm surprized they didn't show up on the sales photos, but, that's neither here nor there, as he obviously told you that they weren't scratched (within acceptable limits for a relume) As you say, he shouldn't've lied to you when you asked him.

As for him being a supporter, that doesn't mean a thing. You have the watch, you can take photos of it, and post them, as well as the PMs, which should state the condition of the watch, compared to the condition of the watch you received. If he's sending you the CG screw, that must mean he knew it wasn't on the watch when he sent it. Another black mark. Don't let a tiny screw be held over your head as leverage. If you're not going to wear the watch anyway, what difference does it matter if the CG is screwed on? Yes, if you send the watch for repair, I'm sure a replacement screw could be fitted, but, that's not the point. The point, is that a supporter of this forum sold you a watch with badly scratched hands, a scratched dial, and, a CG which was missing a screw. That, is an outright scam, my friend, plain and simple, and not the behaviour which is tollerated here. Whoever they are, they'd be wise to accept the watch back and refund you the money, or, I suspect the admin and mods will be rather displeased... This is a community, where folks are supposed to look out for each other, and trade fairly, not ship out things they know to be defective.

My advice to you is take some decent photos, post them up, and name and shame. If the watch is as bad as you say, then no one else is going to tollerate a supporter who pulls such tricks on a newcomer.

"Little White Lies" doesnt always just concern the dealers on board.

THis happens alot when a person is unsatisfied with a watch and they just want to pass it on to another member.

Natron

"Little White Lies" doesnt always just concern the dealers on board.

THis happens alot when a person is unsatisfied with a watch and they just want to pass it on to another member.

Natron

Precicely, which is why I think Ztech should take the bull by the horns and post pictures of the watch detailing it's condition, and compare them to the PMs which describe it's condition. No one deserves to get scammed like this, least of all, by a forum supporter.

Thanks everyone. Ok, I'm going to attempt to take some pics of the watch and I'll post them up along with the saved PM's I have from him. Normally, I would hardly take this sitting down, but I sort of chalked it up to the learning curve for the rep world, but like TeeJay stated, these things should be brought to light. Especially, because I see that the same person has had several other items up for sale within the last few days. Thanks again everyone.

Thanks everyone. Ok, I'm going to attempt to take some pics of the watch and I'll post them up along with the saved PM's I have from him. Normally, I would hardly take this sitting down, but I sort of chalked it up to the learning curve for the rep world, but like TeeJay stated, these things should be brought to light. Especially, because I see that the same person has had several other items up for sale within the last few days. Thanks again everyone.

No problem, I'll be interested to see the photos. Learning curve is maybe using a less well-known dealer, and not getting something as expected. There're established members who say they now prefer to only buy from other members, as they have a better idea about what they're getting, and, if someone's a forum supporter, that should be a positive sign, so, for you to have this kind of experience with a forum supporter, is worrying.

Best of luck with things :)