When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

UPO silix dial - what to do?

danza1812

I am after a little help and advice please, i have a UPO from Precioustime and it is currently with jakub for AR treatment.

The omega logo on the dial bothers me a little, and I know SILIX sell a dial with a better omega logo.

Is it easy to swap logos or swap the dial itself out (will the silix dial fit in the ETA swiss upo from precious)?

Any advice or help would be uch appreciated. Cheers.

:huh:

I am after a little help and advice please, i have a UPO from Precioustime and it is currently with jakub for AR treatment.

The omega logo on the dial bothers me a little, and I know SILIX sell a dial with a better omega logo.

Is it easy to swap logos or swap the dial itself out (will the silix dial fit in the ETA swiss upo from precious)?

Any advice or help would be uch appreciated. Cheers.

:huh:

Silix won't sell me one. If anyone can get hold of one of these dials from Silix, please let me know, as it's holding up my UPO mod project. Whilst it's his prerogative not to do business with me, I still think his entire attitude stinks.

Ever considered getting a gen dial? I had both UPO and Silix 45 PO and I liked the UPO dial more even though the logo was incorrect (which is already minuscule and barely noticible)

Yes but it means ponying up for the gen hands too otherwise the lume won't match. Once you're all done, you not too shy of a used Gen. All I want off the Silix dial is the logo to mount onto my UPO dial.

Edited by The Mentalist

Yes but it means ponying up for the gen hands too otherwise the lume won't match. Once you're all done, you not too shy of a used Gen. All I want off the Silix dial is the logo to mount onto my UPO dial.

Can't recall exactly what I paid for my hands when I ordered them but they were pretty reasonable. I'll have to check but I think I may have a Silix dial sitting around.

Edited by TA8088

Can't recall exactly what I paid for my hands when I ordered them but they were pretty reasonable. I'll have to check but I think I may have a Silix dial sitting around.

Fantastic! let me know if you find it.

Sure, the hands may be reasonable, but when you add the cost of the bezel, tube, face, double AR and labour, you get into dangerous territory. To put it into perspective, I could get a near mint SMP for the money. Often I think modding is almost an illness in the same way that gambling is. 'Losses' become 'near wins' and when a rep becomes so modded with real parts that it almost becomes a gen, ultimately it isn't, no matter how much you spend on it. The law of diminishing returns bites hard.

I agree with Mentalist. Whats the point in spending so much money modding a watch, when after you add up all the money you spent on it, it comes out to the same price as a used gen. Its like spending money on makeup for an ugly girl, no matter how good she looks after she's applied it, you know that behind that makeup is an ugly girl :)

The point I am making is that reps are not constructed the same as gens, workmanship and attention to detail, quality even, these things lack in the rep. This is why I personally would not spend money on modding a watch to make it look as gen as possible, (unless modding is an hobby you enjoy, and you are doing it for the love of doing it, not to make your rep close to the gen).

I agree, I would rather get functional mods like double AR and better lume than pay $200 to have the pearl moved up 1mm, but I wear this watch all the time and I would hate for anyone to be able to tell at a glance it is fake, even though of course they would have to know what to look for. It's a shame for a watch to be so close to perfect and have one glaring flaw.

I just bought one from Silix, along with the rubber strap and a Bond lighter. Maybe he doesn't want to send the dial by itself?

I suspected as much that he's selling them. Jay is acting like a tool because I cancelled several orders from him in the past because I got sick of waiting months and he's never forgotten it. Any UK based members care to help me out by ordering one for me on my behalf?

Edited by The Mentalist

No problem, I'll email him tonight, and get back to you with any news. This dial fits the UPO, is that correct?

I'm not looking to install the dial but cannibalise Silix's logo from his dial and install it on the UPO dial. Apparently it fits as the pin spacing on both dials are the same.

Hi,

Just thought of sharing my opinion. I think swapping the logo will be much easier and more accurate.

I got a dial (with the correct logo) from Silix before and compare it with the ulitmate version (with the crap logo) sold by Andrew or Jos.

After comparing it with the gen dial, except the crappy logo. The ultimate version dial is more accurate. The easiest way to see the different is the amount of lume filled in the hour markers and also the hour lume marker height at 6 o'clock. It should be taller like the gen. Although Silix's logo is correct, their dial is slightly smaller in diameter and the marker at 6 is smaller and shorter. The luming on the hour markers are flat (where it should have a bit "pop out" effect on the gen).

So, after much consideration. I went for swapping the logo over on Ulitmate dial.

Here's the effect. To me, except the pearl. It look much much closer to the gen now.

1984201115_918f85454b_o.jpg

Hope my opinion is useful to you.

Edited by jitai

Guys, thanks for your replies and advice,

Bottom line, i think the consensus is, dont waste money on somethng that is essentially never going to be a gen, I fix the dial - the bezel bothers me, I fix the bezel - the crown bothers me and so on!!! :lol:

I saw docblackrocks pics of his upo with double AR and gen rubber strap, I think thats what i'll do. My intention is to buy the gen chrono, and have skinny wrists so I will no doubt use the gen rubber strap on my gen chrono when I buy it at the end of the year, so nothing will be wasted.

..... The bloody lume on the upo does bother me though!!!!! Aaaaargh!