When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What's a jimmy case and CG really worth these days?

chad

The combination would be very expensive. I think you are talking something north of $200 when you can find them. It is the CG which is the rarer.

Well north of $200 I would think. There was only ever 200 of each part so they are possibly the scarcest replica watch components for one of the most popular watches. If you can find them buy them.

Something is worth , what someone else is prepared to pay.

I thought everyone knew that.

That's true for most items where availability is not a critical issue. However, for desirable items which are no longer available and where these are already in enthusiasts hands, it's really a combination of 'how much someone is prepared to pay' and 'how much is needed to persuade the current owner to sell'.

As far as Jimmy Fu's stuff is concerned I don't think that anyone bought them with a view to trading so the current owners will be placing a value similar to the potential buyers' upper limit, rather than considering a realistic profit margin. Hence the high price and as a result few of these are likely to be sold.

You can still get cases. They are few and far between but they do still exist in unassembled form. It is the CG that is impossible to get as people (myself included) routinely used them as the finishing touch on project watches. And with the recent use of the gen crowns it has made the CG's only more valuable. In truth I am not convinced they are worth what they currently go for. But as someone else said they are worth whatever someone else is willing to pay. To the extent that people have untouched Jimmy CG's I suspect they would never part with them at any price. ;)

That's true for most items where availability is not a critical issue. However, for desirable items which are no longer available and where these are already in enthusiasts hands, it's really a combination of 'how much someone is prepared to pay' and 'how much is needed to persuade the current owner to sell'.

As far as Jimmy Fu's stuff is concerned I don't think that anyone bought them with a view to trading so the current owners will be placing a value similar to the potential buyers' upper limit, rather than considering a realistic profit margin. Hence the high price and as a result few of these are likely to be sold.

This is a great point that can be applied more generally to the rare pieces in the rep world. I don't think that the vast % of people who initially show interest in these types of hard-to-find, rare, and expensive parts, really know what they're talking about a lot of times- and once they start to realize what is involved, usually their interest is withdrawn.

I think it is seen with the Jimmy stuff, but also with some of the MBW rolex's. I'm amazed that members often will be influenced by the market to actually sell these parts for cheaper than they paid, simply because there's demand for them. For example, I'll see an MBW that's been modded with gen parts sell for less than the value of the parts alone very frequently. For the most part, people generally have the attitude that was described so well in the quote above.

That is exactly what I said.

Doesn`t matter how rare, or "available "anything is, forget any "critical" issues,

I`ve got it, .........how much are you willing to pay?

Everything and anything is available ,............for a price.

Guest avitt
LOL...anyone for $400 ? :)

This is exactly how prices get artificialy inflated...sometimes to silly levels, mostly because of hype.

babola

No hype whatsoever.

I base my estimate on empirical data (recent selling prices), and high confidence that if I were to list my JF case and CG for $300, it would be snapped up immediately.