When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My New Pam 217

dadog13

well, I don't know if anybody of you experienced this...

I was at the bar this saturday, and i was wearing my PAM 217...a brand new one...

there was plenty of people at the bar and it was pretty hot inside...while having my first beer (leffe)...i gave a look at my watch to see what's the time...and everything was ok...some time passed and while being on my 6-7 beer I gave a look at my watch and inside the crystal I saw that it was foggy (hope that i used the proper word)...DAMN! i was angry and worried....some time passed and again nothing...the crystal was clear and everything was ok again...but the story doesnt end here...it happend again...and then when i got back home everything was ok...

i think that the crystal isn't glued (pressed) like it should be...

I don't know if i should do anything to prevent this from happening or just to go on with the watch like it is now...and if it ever happens just to wait that it ends...

Has anything like this happened to you guys?

regards,

Vladimir

• 2 weeks later...

didn't have time to bring it to the watchsmith...and guess what happened again?!!!

damn fog (or a little Casper-ghost) inside of the crystal...I've had enough of the fog...it is time to call the ghostbusters...

If you have any idea of what should i do, or what it is...please tell me...I belive it is just matter of the crystal not being glued ok...

It have happened to me before to a few replicas and a few genuine too. You should check the gasket on the back and lubricate it. It's probably that your watch have some water inside, maybe from washing your hands or even from your own transpirations. I always remove the back of the watch, remove the mechanism and clean the inside of the case and crystal. You can leave the mechanism in the sun, but where I live it's so humid that I prefer to close it as soon as I clean everything.

Diego

Yes, the watch definitely has moisture (humidity) inside and when the temperature of the crystal becomes lower than the temperature inside the case then moisture condensates to the fog that you saw attached to the crystal.

It's unlikely that moisture came from the crystal -- it just condensates there because the crystal is more exposed to temperature changes than other watch parts (e.g., like your car windshield).

Most likely points for moisture income are the caseback and the crown tube -- maybe defective or missing o-rings.

You have two goals now:

1 - To remove the moisture that is already inside. Any of the ways suggested before is good, but please consider that fog disappearing does not mean that moisture has gone -- just that it de-condensated again. As you already experienced, fog may come back again as soon as temperature changes. In order to be sure that moisture has definitely gone, place a small piece of ice on the crystal, then wait a little, then clean: if the crystal is not foggy, moisture has gone.

Also consider that placing the watch, caseback opened, in a warm place (e.g. a black or see-through box under a lamp) along with a bag of silica gel dessiccant may speed up the departure of moisture.

2 - To prevent moisture from re-entering into the case. Replace the back and crown o-rings. Only if moisture re-enters again, then replace the teflon o-ring where the crystal sits.

Best wishes!

Nearly all the watches I have had have a loose caseback on delivery - this is definitely the problem and the moisture you saw was your own sweaty wrist juice!!! Very very unlikely anything wrong with crystal as they are held in with an I ring just like the gens.

Silicon grease (very light application) on the O ring then tighten down case back but don't force it. Problem solved.

Nearly all the watches I have had have a loose caseback on delivery - this is definitely the problem and the moisture you saw was your own sweaty wrist juice!!! Very very unlikely anything wrong with crystal as they are held in with an I ring just like the gens.

Silicon grease (very light application) on the O ring then tighten down case back but don't force it. Problem solved.

You are right Finepics,95% of the watches come with loose case back, I think this is happening to our

Friend dadog13 I think he washed his hands wearing the watch, the best thing to do is remove the case back

Take the movement out blow it with one the watchmakers pump, clean the crystal (Inside) and put it together

Again and make sure to tight the case back.