When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Fiddy Fun

fendushi

The one with the grey "Luminor Panerai" is clearly a Davidsen. Is the other one another davidsen or a 4rth generation from the standard rep dealers? I am working on a longer term Fiddy project and am trying to assemble the best parts.

Yes, you are right... both "ultimates", the other one with the dark strap originally from Andrew. Both purchased around middle of last year.

As you can see... Andrew's has a more accurate dial and better sandwich. It's accurate except for the 4 seconds markers, should be longer and thiner like DSN's.

DSN's got a better movement though:

Back1small.jpg

Comparison with Andrew's hybrid "Chiss" (Chinese + Swiss) movement. The main difference is under the balance wheel:

Back2small.jpg

Edited by fendushi

Thanks for the info. Which crystal do you think is more accurately shaped to the gen - Davidsen's or the standard? I assume both casebacks are 117?

In the photo directly above your last post, the one on the right hand side is 0521, where the other is 0117.

From what I can tell, mine (0117) is the same case and dial as Davidsens, just without the Swiss movement :)

Edited by TeeJay

Thanks for the info. Which crystal do you think is more accurately shaped to the gen - Davidsen's or the standard? I assume both casebacks are 117?

They both have DSN crystal... but from memory I think the standard's got a more accurate distortion. But the standard is mineral glass and there were a few reports of crystals exploding, that's why I bought DSN thicker sapphire crystal to replace the standard.

TeeJay is correct... the DSN is 0117, Andrew's is 0581.

Its actually a myth that the crystals were exploding because they were mineral. In fact, sapphire has more chance of 'exploding' or cracking due to its physical properties. Most of the crystals exploding were from the Cartel and (I think Eddie Lee's) Ultimate Fiddy, because they had thin sapphire. The reason why DSN's sapphire crystals don't explode is because they are thicker.