When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My first project watch...

Ztech

Hey all, look what I put together on my spare time today. I know it's a "fantasy" watch, but I think I did a pretty good job for my first try. I've got a thick skin so fire away on your comments.

I got a 6497 swan neck movement (unbranded) from Helenarou (ebay) and got a PVD'd Marina Militare (not Panerai) case with a seethrough caseback. I slaped on a PAM005 (Logo PAM) dial with some gold hands and there you have it. Oh, I couldn't get the darn second hand to fit. I think the dial must be too thick as the second hand didn't reach the the stem on the movement.

IMGP2319-vi.jpg

Hosted on Fotki

IMGP2320-vi.jpg

Hosted on Fotki

IMGP2322-vi.jpg

Hosted on Fotki

IMGP2327-vi.jpg

Hosted on Fotki

IMGP2324-vi.jpg

Hosted on Fotki

IMGP2329-vi.jpg

Hosted on Fotki

Also, I didn't put the two tiny things that hold the movement in the case. Well, I tried, but couldn't get that little screw in the hole for the life of me. While trying to for what seemed like a lifetime, I dropped a screw into and under one of the bridges. I had to unscrew a bunch of screws to lift off the bridges to get the screw out. While doing that I heard something metalic unwinding sound, like a bat outta hell really. I was able to get everything back together and get the watch finished, but the watch doesn't seem to be running now and there's not beating sounding from the watch/movement. Did I kill it? I've wound the thing, but still nothing. Some help would be appreciated. My frankenstein lived for a precious few minutes before I turned the lights out on her.

I'm thinking of sending her out to a moder to have some work done and then maybe I can keep her and alive. Enjoy.

Thanks asad.

By the way, do you think I killed the movement? It's brand new and now it's not working. Did I do something wrong? I heard, what seemed like the mainspring(?), unwind I think. Now it's not running. Is it repairable?

So can anyone please tell me if the movement is dead now? I figure that I let the mainspring unwind completely and that's why it's not running anymore. So, given that's the case, what can I do to get her beating again. It was a brand new 6497. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

So can anyone please tell me if the movement is dead now? I figure that I let the mainspring unwind completely and that's why it's not running anymore. So, given that's the case, what can I do to get her beating again. It was a brand new 6497. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I am sorry to hear that, It can be a couple of things. The movement might have gone into standby mode if the stem was pressured. Or if you wound it to much then it can be the mainspring snapped. I would take it to your local watch maker who has experience with pocket watch movement. Or you can tango with it by opening it all up to see might have happened, If its dead then that is fun if you have time. Best of luck!

All I can say is,,,been there....don't worry,,,there is nothing that can't be fixed. In fact, I have this exact movement but the balance is crap,,,everything else is good,,so if you need a part no problem. Also,,,pm me,,I might have a seconds hand with a long stem,,,so you can put that on. As far as those movement holders,,,well,,,they can be difficult...sometimes I even enjoy seeing a plastic movement holder...lol