When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen crown into rep 229

z3k0

So, I got one of the gen crowns from Kruzer, and since they are not able to go into handwinds due to stem problems, i decided to install it to my new shiny 229. Of course it doesn't fit tube on rep case - it is too thick. How complicated is it to replace crown tube on this case ? Where can I get one ?

Any help is greatly appreciated ;)

regards

You can tackle it one of two ways. You can either file down the inside of the case tube and then use gaskers to insure proper sealing from the elements. Alternatively you can replace the case tube and someone else may be able to tell you what size tubing to you. Someone but I do not recall who had mentioned surgical tubing but it is all second hand as I have yet to do one myself but virtually every 2892/3 and 7750 based watch has been done at this point. And in fact I have had it done to all the aforementioned movements. Remember that you will also have to adjust the crown guard lever. Someone else can chime in.

You can tackle it one of two ways. You can either file down the inside of the case tube and then use gaskers to insure proper sealing from the elements. Alternatively you can replace the case tube and someone else may be able to tell you what size tubing to you. Someone but I do not recall who had mentioned surgical tubing but it is all second hand as I have yet to do one myself but virtually every 2892/3 and 7750 based watch has been done at this point. And in fact I have had it done to all the aforementioned movements. Remember that you will also have to adjust the crown guard lever. Someone else can chime in.

Well, filing down (or drilling maybe) existing tube first came to mind. If someone already went this way, it would be nice to know what diameter should tube have ?

I guess I'll wait for the next weekend to take some action. In the end I can always send it to The Zigmeister, but I'm so in love with this watch right now, I want to wear it :rolleyes:

regards

• 2 weeks later...
Well, filing down (or drilling maybe) existing tube first came to mind. If someone already went this way, it would be nice to know what diameter should tube have ?

I guess I'll wait for the next weekend to take some action. In the end I can always send it to The Zigmeister, but I'm so in love with this watch right now, I want to wear it :rolleyes:

regards

Did you manage to find a replacement crown tube?? I have the same problem with my PAM27.... is filing down the case tube the only way??

thanks.

Kai

I know that it has been done both ways - filing and working with existing case tube and simply putting in new one. In reality a case tube can be any piece of ss tubing. Either way you will end up having to play with the case tube. If you have ever looked at the case tube on a gen or Jimmy case you will see that with the exception of some of the 7753 Daylights all rep cases have much smaller case tubes. Rep cases are built for the typical straight shaft rep crown. When you add the spring loaded mechanism on a gen you require a larger diameter hole. If you are unsure how to do it you should send it to someone who has. Ziggy has mounted virtually every automatic model. Not meant to be an advertisement - just a fact. :)

Just to confirm that The Zigmeister has fitted these for me without reporting any problems. I don't know what method he uses but it works. On the other hand DSN makes a sprung crown for the handwind models and supplies these with their own wider tube. Possibly one his 6497 tubes would fit the gen auto crown??? Don't know but it may be worth trying.

There is a great little booklet on crowns, tubes, all the various styles and sizes, methods of fitting tubes to case etc.

It is another gem by Henry Fried, and it is only around $6-7

Can't give you the exact title (mine is on loan) but it contains a wealth of info on this subject.

Got mine from ebay from memory " my wifes Bookstore??"

Worth hunting...many answers, and a bunch of data info.

O/S