When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How much should I pay?

PAM192MEX

Hi All,

I need to take my new turn-o-graph to the watch smith, so he can change a damage dial for a new one...

How much do you think it would cost me? I do not want to pay more...

Thanks in advance..I am in the Chicago (Evanston) area USA

Edited by PAM192MEX

I assume that your Turn-o-graph is a replica. It is unlikely that your watch maker will be able to supply a new dial at all unless he has access to Rolex parts. A new Rolex dial would likely cost around $300 retail. Your best approach is to contact your dealer/collector and purchase a replica dial. If you don't know the dealer, I am told that Silix will sell certain dials from time to time for something like $25 plus shipping. I wouldn't send it by EMS due to the cost unless you must have it quick. Regular air mail will take a couple of weeks but is the cheapest method. Of course, if you plan or ordering a new watch, now would be a good time and the dial would come along for the ride.

Thnaks JDavis, my TOG is indeed a replica, and the collector is sending the replacement dial via regularpost, it left China 3/13/08 so it shoulb be here in the next two weeks , I hope...

I should add, that the question is how much I should pay the watch smith for changing the dial? thanks

Edited by PAM192MEX

quote =

I need to take my new turn-o-graph to the watch smith, so he can change a damage dial for a new one...

/quote

To change a dial on an eta rolex replica probably $20 to $30.

Same job for a genuine rolex probably $50 to $100.

Why so much more for genuine?

1...Have to be more careful and more risk involved (dropped, stolen etc).

2...Genuine watch should have a new caseback gasket, crown gaskets (maybe), and pressure test.

3...Owners of genuine rolex watches are usually a lot harder to satisfy no matter how good the work is. You swap the dials out and are done in 30 minutes but the owner might show up in three months claiming you did something to his watch to make it lose an extra second every four days.

I have seen it happen. <_<

my guy here in chinatown does everything for $15.

so if your chinatown has an area that sells reps, most likely there will be a cheap watchsmith that is well versed in ETA based watches...

or...u could do it urself? not too difficult...but without the right tools and a good workspace probably not worth trying...

if ur going to a non-chinatown type watchsmith...they'll charge you based on time...so if they are $50/hour...maybe they charge

you $25 for half hr labor?

As someone thats worked on genuine OEM stuff vs aftermarket I would charge the same for rep vs gen because standards are poor for rep stuff meaning what should take a second could take either a second or 10 minutes or an hour. Things not built to precision mean much higher probability for failure. So you remove a hand and the whole stem comes out, yuck. And then as the watchsmith you're in a very hard position of how to replace an aftermarket part that you have no supply chain for. I'm warehousing spare parts for the movements in my watches just in case. Just my counterpoint to why pricing may be high and why most smiths don't want to work on reps.

quote =

/quote

To change a dial on an eta rolex replica probably $20 to $30.

Same job for a genuine rolex probably $50 to $100.

Why so much more for genuine?

1...Have to be more careful and more risk involved (dropped, stolen etc).

2...Genuine watch should have a new caseback gasket, crown gaskets (maybe), and pressure test.

3...Owners of genuine rolex watches are usually a lot harder to satisfy no matter how good the work is. You swap the dials out and are done in 30 minutes but the owner might show up in three months claiming you did something to his watch to make it lose an extra second every four days.

I have seen it happen. <_<

You guys in Chicago are in luck! Here is a post from another forum that you should find interesting....

If any one needs a rep friendly watch repairman, I know of an honest guy in chicago. He's fixed about 5 of my reps (PAM 195, chopard, tag, montblanc timewalker, omega). He's been making/repairing watches all his life. He even has a bce he can't get rid of in his display case.

For those of us who has problems with our watches it's hard to find a repairman where we're not scared to have to give up our watch or get in trouble somehow. It can be hard to ship a watch back overseas for custom reasons or fear of loss or whatever.

He's expecting some business from the forum. He's repaired a bunch of my friends watches already.

If anyone is interested, his name is Imer Purelku. A very nice older polish (i think) gentleman. His number is 773-883-8679, call during regular business hours. He charges a fair price and guarantees his work. He'll tell you honestly if he can fix your watch or not. Not only did he fix the broken seconds hand on my 195, but he greased it, cleaned it, etc.. Mention "Marc" when you call....no, I don't get a commission or discount for this. I just want to inform those who need a good guy to fix their watches .

quote =

As someone thats worked on genuine OEM stuff vs aftermarket I would charge the same for rep vs gen because standards are poor for rep stuff meaning what should take a second could take either a second or 10 minutes or an hour. Things not built to precision mean much higher probability for failure. So you remove a hand and the whole stem comes out, yuck. And then as the watchsmith you're in a very hard position of how to replace an aftermarket part that you have no supply chain for. I'm warehousing spare parts for the movements in my watches just in case. Just my counterpoint to why pricing may be high and why most smiths don't want to work on reps.

/quote

Eta powered watches are usually no trouble to work on. China movement stuff is sometimes very hard to work on.

I will not work on China movement watches except my own so I can junk it if I get mad at it.

Some of the China movements are DOA when you get the watch...full of dirt, dry of oil, wet or rusty, incorrect assembly etc but you can not always blame the movement factory...many are damaged by the watch assembler.