When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is this genuine sub insert modern or vintage?

mezzanine

The shape of the 4 in the 40 indicates it is not modern, or at least not the newest version. It could be from a modern sub with lug holes. It could be a 16800. It could even be a Seadweller insert and not a sub insert.

Note the style of the 4 on my gen 16610 insert with lug holes:

_MG_6395rsz.jpg

Note the style of the 4 on the newer 16610 insert (don't be thrown off by the part number - this IS for a 16610):

_MG_6331rsz.jpg

Thanks for the feedback...I'm not going to lie, I bought it before I even posted that picture, but figured it might be prudent to actually know what I was going to be getting. That's my style with these parts... I like roll in "blind" on their purchase and then make a game of it for the community to figure out what we're looking at. That's how I'm rationalizing it today. :p

The finish being more glossy seeming than what I usually associate with vintages causes me to wonder if it's more recent. At the same time, I've got a very old insert off a genuine red 1680 that has that same type of finish even though it's faded.

I just checked the measurement, and this should be the ultimate clue:

37 1/2mm

31mm

I keep squinting my eyes to see if I can make out a metal ring around that pearl, but I can't seem to squint hard enough...