When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Will I ever order my PAM... !

gabrielndg

Hi everyone,

Ive been reading a lot (probably too much!) on this forum in the last 10 days, and I have to say that I am amazed of the quality of the information and how some of you seem to be sincere friends. I am defenetly becoming a Supporter.

But emotion apart... Ive been reading mostly on Panerai watches and I got it down to 2 choices. First is the PAM118 Marina Militare 44mm Ti or the Pam 212 1950 Flyback Chronograph Asia 7750 (both from Andrew, I like his service up to now) (I also have a bid on a POTR auction that I will get if I win, so I'll end up with 2 Panerais, worst case ;)http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=69586&hl=

I'd like to have your opnion on 2 things.

1. Should I not even consider one of them ? From what I read they are both fine but I'm worried that I missed something...

2. Solely based on mouvement: should I always go with Swiss if I have the choice? (in this case the 118) Am I certain to get the actual swiss mvt? I also read mixed opinions on the Asian Valjoux 7500...

I hope my questions make sense... ;-) Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks a buntch

Hey Gabriel,

I doubt that you're missing anything. I mean, this isn't really an exact science. Also, from most of what I've read so far, Asian movements are very dependable and should last without too much trouble. Of course, regular servicing helps. Also, it helps if you sort of narrow down what you're looking for in a rep, i.e. are you looking for a rep that as close to the gen as possible? Or maybe you're looking for one that suits your pesonal taste? I've learned that once you narrow that down, searchng becomes worlds eaiser. Asking the experts also is more efficient when you know your target. You'll notice that questions such as, "hi, I'm looking for the best PAM", don't get much attention, but when you ask, "which dial is closest to the gen?" type of questions the experts will chime in. So I suggest you consider your options and then narrow down your target, then start to ask some questions. Oh, and make sure you exercise some patience as things might not move at the pace you'd like for it to. Good luck and enjoy your journey.

z

gabrielndg

Welcome to RWG. All I can say is pull the trigger on the 118 asap. I was under the impression that these things were no longer around. So if you can get one go for it. Both are nice watches (they're PAM's). But if its your first one then I wouldn't go for the Chrono.

I bet you'll never see anyone else with a Gen or Rep 118 ever. Though I was at a lawn bowls club on Saturday and there was a guy there with a 222 and he was checking out my 195, which was kinda odd.

If you don't like it (once you've got a new strap for it). Just put it up for trade here I'm sure it will be snapped up in minutes.

You just have to take the plunge.

Enjoy ST

One thing I can recommend gabriel is to start off this the less complicated stuff first, i.e. models with less frills and thrills. They tend to have "less that can go wrong" thing going for them. I've noticed that the more "stuff" on the reps the more that "can" go wrong. You might want to look into the base models. Good luck.

212 is a nice toy rep ...A7750 is good and will last if serviced and looked after well ...a re-lume is a must

118 is a good buy - pick up a gen crown from enesefe on ebay and get a re-lume and the crown fitted.

The 118 dial needs a decent clear coat to enhance the darker tones otherwise the brown tone is a no-no

If you can source a solid C/D series Ti case back as well you will have 2 watches for the price of 1 (+ CB) ...PAm 118 and PAM 61

:fish:

212 is a nice toy rep ...A7750 is good and will last if serviced and looked after well ...a re-lume is a must

118 is a good buy - pick up a gen crown from enesefe on ebay and get a re-lume and the crown fitted.

The 118 dial needs a decent clear coat to enhance the darker tones otherwise the brown tone is a no-no

If you can source a solid C/D series Ti case back as well you will have 2 watches for the price of 1 (+ CB) ...PAm 118 and PAM 61

:fish:

Would you consider the Swiss Unitas 6497 similar in quality to the A7750? From what I read, it seems pretty good...

This might end up being my first projet watch... a few questions if I may:

The dial clear coating, re-lume and the gen crown fitled, is that something my jeweler can do or should I go with someone with rep experience?

Ill check for a gen crown right now...

thanks a buntch

You'll have to wait for an expert to chime in about movements. It's all Greek to me (sorry). I've read, and been told, that most watchsmiths can do all the work you listed, but I'd stick to the "experts" that most send their watches to on this forum. There's a reason why they're swamped till next x-mas. Remember... patience

Go for the 118, it is a beauty. The CG needs some attention as it will be with the pin upside down. This can be corrected with some work and the correct tool. Then you should get the top of the CG rounded to follow the lines of the case. Flatten the cannon pin, get a gen crown have the dial relumed by one of the artists here and it will be really a showpiece. If you get the dial with the correct placement of the LUMINOR MARINA text and a 061 caseback (closed Ti caseback) your watch will be as close to a gen when finished as a rep can get.

Don

Edited by Fish