When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watch Markets in Shanghai

gavidoc

I was there in September of last year and there was a good sized market in the Science and Technology Museum Subway station in Pudong. The shops are all underground and you don't have to leave the subway station to get there. I believe this has replaced Xiangyang market which was closed down. I honestly didn't look at any of the watches there so I can't attest to the quality. There were numerous merchants shouting "Hello Rolex" to me as I passed through however. When I go back in April I plan to stop there and check it out.

My experience is more along the lines of:

"Hello..Copy watch? Copy bag? Great quality...A+++" as they try to grab your arm. Normally the people I'm with as they look more guilo (sp) then I (I'm half Korean).

I think I know the area you're talking about. Same area as the Pudong Airport right?

Its not really near the Airport. Its on the number 2 line of the subway. Its basically an underground shopping area in the subway station (Science & Technology stop). They merchants are usually rather proactive to try to get you into their shop. Its sort of like an underground NYC Canal Street. They have a lot of bags on display, but the watches were not really out in the open from what I could see. Many are kept hidden away I believe. And, like I said before, I'm not sure if they will have the higher quality reps there or not.

I'm going to be there next week as well. Thanks for the info!

Chuan, If you do go please post your experience. I'm heading back in late April and this time I was intending to go check out the quality there. I'm curious to see what they have there now. I used to enjoy the Xiangyang market that used to be on the other side of the river. Unfortunately that was shut down back in '06 I believe.

Chuan, If you do go please post your experience. I'm heading back in late April and this time I was intending to go check out the quality there. I'm curious to see what they have there now. I used to enjoy the Xiangyang market that used to be on the other side of the river. Unfortunately that was shut down back in '06 I believe.

Roger that. Will post my experience. I've gotten another address in Shanghai from geek. 990 Huai Hai M Road phone: 13917354151. Supposed to be another dealer(s) from Xiangyang. Can't rememeber when Xiangyang closed, but i didn't like the hussling of shoppers back then, so i didn't take note of the watches. i wasn't into rep watches back then though.... :)

Edited by Chuan

Yeah, I wasn't into reps the last time I was in China either, so I wasn't really looking for them. Just aware that they were there. I bought a couple (Very!) cheap His and Her Omega Constellations last time I was there for 40RMB, in Yu Yuan Garden shops downtown, but that was the extent of my experience buying reps in Shanghai. In fact, I found this forum while preparing for my trip to Shanghai in April. I was trying to educate myself about reps before I went. I'm glad I found it. Its been fascinating reading all of the information posted on these boards. Enjoy your trip, and I look forward to hearing your report!

wow, i was in shanghai, but found little nothing at street level. im sure there is something to be had in shen zhen, and also a few items in HK..

HK = markup compared to china and the Tag rep that i looked at was very far off from the original. asking price was something like 34xx HKD, so around 500 which was a total joke and they expect you to talk them down.

i had no idea about the rep world and how enthusiastic the users are, when i visited........ :kicking self:

Back from my watch hunting in Shanghai. Regarding the Science and Technology museum, the watches there are not worth taking a look in my opinion. They are probably what you would call canal st. quality. Many are available in quartz or are fantasy models. I can speak mandarin so the sales people were running to other stalls or stores to get what i am looking for, but still no dice. At Huai Hai road, little luck as well, the quality is slightly better although still pretty bad. It might be that i'm not a regular so i don't get to see the best, but GZ would be much better than Shanghai i guess (assuming you can find what you want from so many stalls).