When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Bond SMP just in

predfan2001

I got my used Bond SMP rep in today and was disappointed to find that my gen bracelet will not fit it. I'm running into the same issues I had when I tried to install it on a GMT rep. The lugholes on the rep are the issue. On the reps, the lugholes are drilled further out on the lug than a gen so when you install the gen band, there is a 2-3mm gap between the endlink and the case. I half a$$ drilled lugholes on my GMT to get the gen band on and it looked great. I just never trusted it 100% because the redrilled holes weren't very deep.

So what about installing the gen band to the rep endlinks you ask? That won't work either because all of the individual link dimensions are totally off. The rep band with not mate with the gen endlinks without some major grinding and then it would take away too much so that it would never look right.

So scratch that idea and on the the watch itself. It started life as an ETA Limited Series 007 series SMP rep. The previous owner elected to convert it over to a standard Bond SMP. I'm not sure why but I can only assume the 007 was a better case than the SMP?? I say that because the seller included the old case and the 007 parts and the crystal in the extra case sits too low, well below the insert.

The band on this one is not bad, much better than most of the flat SMP rep bands. I guess the biggest issue is it needs re-polishing and scuffing (oh and it is 1 link too short for me...help me!!) and the clasp sucks like most Omega rep clasps.

Since this is the first SMP (non GMT) rep I've owned I couldn't wait to see the wave pattern on the dial. It looks ok but it looks different than the gen I had. I'd say the rep appears to have the waves etched into the dial and the gen seemed to have the wave pattern sticking up if that makes any sense. Never the less it looks ok.

This is the typical SMP rep with the He valve at 10:00 and screws in the band but there is one thing about this watch really jumps out at me. The insert is a greyish blue. It looks totally off but maybe the the 007 reps have a different color insert?? Plus it's not centered correctly but I'll fix that with a new insert.

So all and all I'm happy with it. It was fairly cheap (plus the seller was kind enough to include the extra parts) and given the overall quality of the SMP reps, I'm glad I didn't have to pay retail. It seems to function well but if I can't find a matching link I guess I'll have to install a blue NATO or a blue rubber rep band.

Personally I'd say the SMP rates about a 6 on a scale of 1-10 as a rep based on what I see. Check out my pics and feel free to comment. And thanks to the seller, I do like the watch and I appreciate the deal and extra parts.

S6301178.jpg

S6301181.jpg

On the plus side, your rep has a very good shaped case around the crown, probably the best that I've seen. I have had a number of SMP reps and they have all been different in detail. I had one with a grey/blue insert positioned on the bezel the same way as yours but it couldn't be repositioned properly as the the clicks wouldn't line up any of the points exactly at 12.

BTW, if you have a spare crystal I would be interested in buying it.

Predfan. Thanks for sharing your experience. I think I agree with your 6 rating. What in your opinion is a 8 or higher rated rep (omega or other brand) ?

Most of the "super reps" would rate a 8 to me (and since they're reps a 10 would be nearly impossible). The Omega UPO would barely be an 8 but it can be improved. The Breitling SFSO, Omega Railmaster and the new SSD Rolex Seadweller are good 8s. I'm sure there are many others but my knowledge is limited to a few brands.

My way of grading this rep (the rep, not the seller...Carlsbadrolex is great) is not a standard but a 6 is still a good rep to me. I've had some Rolex reps that I wouldn't even rate a 3!

Edited by predfan2001