When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

is it safe to put my A7750 chrono on a watch winder?

db1

hey,

as most of your probably noticed, i have a Bentley GT rep with the asian 7750 movement.

i don't want to have this rep to be my daily beater, still want to keep it wounded and running even while resting at home.

i was thinking about these $60 watch winders from ebay, but i wanted to ask from the experts before i do anything

does it safe to put a rep with an A7750 movement on a watch winder on a regualr basis?

does the A7750 has that sort of over-wound protection mechanism i heard about ?

does the movement gets more wear & tear when constantly being wounded on a winder then sitting in the box till i wear it ?

does a movement that is all the time being wounded and gears working, gets more wear & tear then one that rests in a box, and get shaken and working just before i wear it each and every time?

lots of questions :)

searched the forum, but didn't find a thread that fitted as much.

any info will help

thanks

thank you for the info!

so that means that for a A7750 to get wounded on a winder, it got to be sitting in a very specific angel to work?

at what angels a A7750 does not get wounded ?

very informative, i didnt know..

is there a winder known to be fine for a A7750?

also about the "other" questions- hope someone will be able to answer all of few of them, they are interesting as well :)

thanks

Edited by db1

In additional to the angle of the winder (although I"ve never had this problem so far), you may want to consider that the 7750 winds ONLY IN ONE DIRECTION, unlike other automatic movements that can wind in both.

Speaking of oils, I feel that it is best to keep the watch running at least periodically instead of letting it sit for long periods of time. I may be wrong, but you don't to run the risk of the oil drying up in the movement, thus adding more friction than necessary to get the gears moving.

I've been shopping for winders for months, I finally settled on this one for now:

post-9908-1206555184_thumb.jpg

Pros:

Holds watches vertically

Winds in both directions

Spring-loaded holders instead of those cheap pillows

Inexpensive (cost about $60 shipped)

Cons:

VERY poorly made (glass didn't fit properly, inner compartments crooked, ring around watch falls off, cheap materials and finish)

Not particularly quiet

Cannot choose direction (winders rotate clockwise 60 seconds, pause, then counterclockwise 60 seconds)

Not very adjustable (only adjustment is the pause time: 12, 15, or 22 minutes)

I don't really recommend it, but it seems functional.

A great winder will run up to as much as you're willing to spend on it.

The downfall of some lower-end models is that it doesn't rotate the 7750 watches far enough to get the rotor to spin.

In case you were wondering, the 7750 winds up when the rotor spins in a counterclockwise (CCW) direction. Even when sometimes you hear the "free-spinning" motion of the rotor running when you shake your watch, believe it or not, it is likely spinning clockwise (CW) rather than the other way around.

Since I own alot of 775x-based chronographs, I found it useful to own a Bergeon Cyclotest "one direction only" winder. But those things run about $500. On the upside, they are used to for testing winding effectiveness and can be utilized in both horizontal and vertical positions.

If you're working with a limited budget, might I suggest a MTE winder? They are quality products and their winders start at only $80.