When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Mis-spelled Maurice Lacroix on the bay (damgaged tho)

llsteve80

I was searching damaged on ebay and came across this: item #300208242735. I put a bid in for some reason, and won. I was very surprised, since at first I didn't realize it was misspelled. I know these watches don't have a good resale value, but with a crystal and buckle I would think it would be worth more than $129 plus the parts to fix it.

What is it worth broken and repaired? I don't know if there is paperwork, so lets assume not.

What should I do with this thing? I see a few options here:

Spell it right and flip it as is

Fix it, then sell it

Part it out

Fix it, give it to some girl, tell her she's special, score

Just got here, will put pics in new post

That seems like a pretty good score, I wonder how much the parts to fix it cost sans labor? $2K for a crystal and buckle seems a little high--maybe you can have a mineral crystal custom made?

I was going to call the service center to see if they sell parts to the public today but I forgot. I'll have to do it tomorrow now.

I'm confused somebody is willing to sell you a watch encrusted with 50 genuine 0.835ct diamonds for $129...

It seems like if the seller just took a knife and cut the diamonds out to sell them privately it would net a better deal by far! Not to mention selling the movement, buckle, and the rest of the jazz... if it is one of those "once in a lifetime" "miracle buys" then congratulations... but I would be skeptical myself.

I'm confused somebody is willing to sell you a watch encrusted with 50 genuine 0.835ct diamonds for $129...

It seems like if the seller just took a knife and cut the diamonds out to sell them privately it would net a better deal by far! Not to mention selling the movement, buckle, and the rest of the jazz... if it is one of those "once in a lifetime" "miracle buys" then congratulations... but I would be skeptical myself.

I am skeptical, but maybe the guy doesn't care. I've wasted more money on red bull and vodka and shots of patron in one night, and all I got was a headache the next day. Buyer protection sucks sometimes on the bay, but at least its there. I'll know on friday or saturday what the deal is, something was shipped, I know that for sure. I'll let everyone know when I get it/something

Oh, and its .835 carat total weight, not 50 .835 carat diamonds. And the bezel looks a little damaged by the 12

I am skeptical, but maybe the guy doesn't care. I've wasted more money on red bull and vodka and shots of patron in one night, and all I got was a headache the next day

I am with you there. It doesn't make sense for someone to go through that much trouble to scam you for $100. I say it is the deal of the century. One thing I don't know about is the description claims a retail of $7,300? Is that true? I believe he got quoted too much ot fix it and just threw it up on the bay to get rid of it. Nice MOP dial on that one too.

I am with you there. It doesn't make sense for someone to go through that much trouble to scam you for $100. I say it is the deal of the century. One thing I don't know about is the description claims a retail of $7,300? Is that true? I believe he got quoted too much ot fix it and just threw it up on the bay to get rid of it. Nice MOP dial on that one too.

If the bezel is damaged, that can account for much of the cost. Sapphire isn't cheap, and labor for the ML is expensive at the AD too. Retail is $7300, but you can get new for around $6,000. This brand hasn't really caught on, maybe never will, so the resale value for used is low. The watch runs, so thats a bonus, if whatever broke the crystal also hit the posts for the hands that could be problems. It's just a modified eta 2824, but those mods are big.

Ok, I got it. Here are some pics. The bezel is damaged and the dial cracked. You can see it all in the pics. Movement runs, everything works. I'm thinking about just parting it out.

The movement is a ML37, same as the mens watches by ML, it is really just a modified 2824-2. That alone might be worth more than I paid though, since it is triple date and unlikely to be seen on the bay for a while. If it was mens, I'd fix it but eh. I have always wanted a triple date moonphase, maybe I can make something cool out of this? Hmmm. Maybe I can find an empty case and dial that could fit this, probably not ML though.

Any more ideas? With all the damage I don't think it would be worth it to fix, new dial, new bezel ( unless a jewelery repair place could do something ) New hands, new sapphire crystal, new buckle. Then labor? Ya, I can see the 2k at the service center making sense now.

DSCN0335.jpg

DSCN0339.jpg

dent.jpg

2nddent.jpg

DSCN0342.jpg

DSCN0343.jpg

That about sums it up, it doesn't seem like the seller explained the damage very well (they said the case is "scratched" not dented or gouged, and nothing about the dial or hands). I would like to know how they did this much damage by dropping it, off a bridge maybe? Pity, although totally not my style, that was a really nice looking watch.

You should make your money back on the movement, but good luck selling the stones--the value and scarcity of diamonds is a complete myth.