When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is building a quartz Bond SMP possible?

predfan2001

I've heard it discussed before but not sure if anyone has actually tried it. Thanks to the extra parts (case, 007 dial & case back) the seller included with my used SMP rep, I have quite abit of the stuff (except for a SMP dial) to attempt building one. Here's my thoughts on parts for the build, please give me your thoughts.

SMP rep case

Case back from my GMT

Gen or rep SMP dial

Crystal from the GMT or ???

Bezel from the GMT with a new SMP replacement insert

ETA 804.114 or 805.111?? movement (is there a quartz movement that is a direct replacement to a 2824-2??)

SMP style hands for quartz ETA from Ofrei

Plastic movment holder from the assortment offered by Ofrei

My biggest worry is about which ETA quartz movement will have proper stem placement for the case and proper date window alignment. I plan on starting with a movement only to test fit it in the case with the 007 dial I have now. If it works out, I can go from there. If anyone has attempted a build like this and can recommend a movement it would be very helpful.

Edited by predfan2001

Well after digging around in my watch parts bin I did find that there are quartz movements that will work. The problem with the Bond SMP is there are no hands avail. that will fit the typical quartz movement (70/120/20). Sword hands however are plentiful. So my plan is to proceed with this project, but with a black SMP. The hands may not be totally correct be they will be close. I'm going to order an asian black SMP and attempt to convert it to quartz. Why am I doing this...cuz I want to! :)

SeamasterwithSpeedybracelet.jpg

Edited by predfan2001

Well after digging around in my watch parts bin I did find that there are quartz movements that will work. The problem with the Bond SMP is there are no hands avail. that will fit the typical quartz movement (70/120/20). Sword hands however are plentiful. So my plan is to proceed with this project, but with a black SMP. The hands may not be totally correct be they will be close. I'm going to order an asian black SMP and attempt to convert it to quartz. Why am I doing this...cuz I want to! :)

SeamasterwithSpeedybracelet.jpg

Interesting project, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone trying to build a quartz version of the SMP. The cal 1538 movement that Omega uses is based on the ETA 255.461, which is rock-solid and easily available. If you could source a gen dial and hands, it should be a perfect fit, and it'll be more accurate(for time keeping) than most of the multi-thousand dollar gen autos out there. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I've actually been looking at doing the bond quartz for a while now. But i've yet to encounter a 2nd hand quartz dial on the bay. They use to be so many but now no more....strange....

Otherwise, the movement is easy to get a hold of, I have a source that I know which is quite cheap, and the hands shouldn't be hard to source either. Its just the dial at the moment.