When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Case issues, can you help

bruce79

I've got a wild itch to do some swapping of parts with two of my pams. I've got a fully modded 112 from Josh and a stock thin dial 036 from Ruby.

I want to put the movement and dial of my 112 into the case of Ruby's 036 to create a 176. Well I tried to insert them last night and found that the hole in the movement for the stem doesn't line up with the case hole for the stem. It was late last night and I didn't feel like fidgeting with it but has anybody else run into this problem? I was able to get the crown/stem inserted but only when the movement was tilted.

Could it be that the inside case dimensions of Ruby's 036 are different from other standard pam reps or am I missing something? Looking at the inside of both cases, it looks like the lip where the dial sits inside the case is more shallow in the 036 case than in the 112 case, do you think this is to make up for the thin dial?

I've got a wild itch to do some swapping of parts with two of my pams. I've got a fully modded 112 from Josh and a stock thin dial 036 from Ruby.

I want to put the movement and dial of my 112 into the case of Ruby's 036 to create a 176. Well I tried to insert them last night and found that the hole in the movement for the stem doesn't line up with the case hole for the stem. It was late last night and I didn't feel like fidgeting with it but has anybody else run into this problem? I was able to get the crown/stem inserted but only when the movement was tilted.

Could it be that the inside case dimensions of Ruby's 036 are different from other standard pam reps or am I missing something? Looking at the inside of both cases, it looks like the lip where the dial sits inside the case is more shallow in the 036 case than in the 112 case, do you think this is to make up for the thin dial?

- I have had the same issues - it's a struggle to get a sandwich dial into a Josh 036 case - it's not prepared for the thicker dials only thinner single layer dials.

:fish:

OK. this is only a suggestion, for I know next to nothing about Pams.

But , I do know something about machining.

This is looking at the problem from a mechanical viewpoint.

If the movement is too thick, can the case be machined ( turned in a lathe to bore out the extra depth)?

Just how much extra clearance is necessary?

How much clearance is there between the hands and the crystal? ( to accomodate for the extra depth).

I know it is hard to measure these sizes, but just some idea, an approximation , would give me something to work on.

"found that the hole in the movement for the stem doesn't line up with the case hole for the stem"

By this , do you mean, if the movement was to go deeper , would the stem hole in the movement line up with the stem case hole ?

Note. All this would only be possible if there is a gap between the dial face and the bezel.

( this is with the new movement sitting in the old case. )

This gap, is the amount that needs machining off the case , to allow it to seat deeper.

Hope that I have made sense to you here.

@rodwc,

I think you are understanding...the movement needs to go about 1-2mm deeper into the movement. However, machining the case isn't an option for me.

I just wanted to verify that the case was indeed different on the 036 and FGD pretty much verified that for me.

@ Fishgodeep, were you able to get it to fit, what was the final result?

If this will not work and I cannot get a sandwich dial into the 036, I'll probably just sell/trade it as I'm really a base fan.

A possible option (very unsure about it) might be filing the dial rather than machining the case.

By making the dial diameter slightly smaller, the dial might go beyond the lip. Then the movement, not the dial, would touch the lip, and the movement would go deeper into the case.

As a side effect this would reduce the rehaut a bit. But as a base model does not have cyclops or additional hands you should not face room problems.

Filing a sandwhich dial might prove a tricky task, though.

Just a thought.