When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is it defective?

Jawo

I listed a Patek Power reserve a month back and ended up selling it to a member of this forum of whom I will not name. I sent the watch to him and everthing seemed ok for a week. I then got a message back from him indicating that the watch was defective and had stopped running. I don't know what the proper etiquette is here when it comes to guarantees or returns for pre-owned watches but I felt it was the right thing to do by offering the member a full refund including shipping costs. I just got the watch back today and when I looked at it, the hand for the power reserve indicator was cranked all the way pointing just past the max 48hr marker. I want to really think that the watch was truely defective but is it possible that the member overwound it manually and broke something? I am no watchsmith or techie watch expert, but I would appreciate it if you veterans could chime in on your opinions. All I know is that i keep all my watches in exceptional condition and it was working fine when I shipped it out. According to the online tracking for shipping, the watch was in the hands of the member for 8 days before I received the complaint that it was defective. What do you guys think?

Isn't the whole "overwinding" business a myth since today's movements have safeguards to protect this from occuring? Besides, what kind of a moron could possibly be stupid enough to over-wind a watch with a POWER RESERVE INDICATOR?

It sounds like it was a legit malfunction, possibly caused by the stress of being in the mail - it might have taken a knock at the post office, something might have slipped...

There are others here that should be able to give some good feedback about the logic of what you're suggesting- you might be correct, and it might be verifiable without needing to get to the level of accusation on that basis.

On a broader level, and not specifically relevant to the OP's problem, but I have found that the vast majority of watches one purchases through the membership will come with undisclosed issues. I'm speaking purely objectively, and based only on the % of watches received that had issues that I believed the previous owner had been aware of and chosen not to mention it.

I listed a Patek Power reserve a month back and ended up selling it to a member of this forum of whom I will not name. I sent the watch to him and everthing seemed ok for a week. I then got a message back from him indicating that the watch was defective and had stopped running. I don't know what the proper etiquette is here when it comes to guarantees or returns for pre-owned watches but I felt it was the right thing to do by offering the member a full refund including shipping costs. I just got the watch back today and when I looked at it, the hand for the power reserve indicator was cranked all the way pointing just past the max 48hr marker. I want to really think that the watch was truely defective but is it possible that the member overwound it manually and broke something? I am no watchsmith or techie watch expert, but I would appreciate it if you veterans could chime in on your opinions. All I know is that i keep all my watches in exceptional condition and it was working fine when I shipped it out. According to the online tracking for shipping, the watch was in the hands of the member for 8 days before I received the complaint that it was defective. What do you guys think?

Did you packed well before sending ??? If yes then it is unlikely that damage was done during mailing.

Was the watch sold to a newbie ?? If yes then its likely the this person applied too much winding on the watch

There are others here that should be able to give some good feedback about the logic of what you're suggesting- you might be correct, and it might be verifiable without needing to get to the level of accusation on that basis.

On a broader level, and not specifically relevant to the OP's problem, but I have found that the vast majority of watches one purchases through the membership will come with undisclosed issues. I'm speaking purely objectively, and based only on the % of watches received that had issues that I believed the previous owner had been aware of and chosen not to mention it.

You are right mez , .... though on the other hand,

Without inspecting the watch, it is impossible to say with certainty what the problem is, or whether it was abused or is simply in need of standard servicing, as is often the case with rep watches (especially after touring the country as a guest of the mail system). But it sounds like the watch was working properly when the buyer received it, so, unless you are an official collector or you stated that you would provide 8+ days of warranty coverage, I would have provided nothing more than a heartfelt apology & possibly some assistance in recommending a suitable watchmaker (Ziggy).

Unless you specified a warranty against defects for X number of days, then I don't think you have any responsibility for the watch quitting.

How's this sound...

I buy this watch, after a week or so, I get buyer's remorse...hmmmm...what to do...

BANG...oops I smashed the watch on the table, and wouldn't you know it, it doesn't run anymore...HEY SELLER- give me my money back!!!

OR

I accidently drop the watch, it stops working...what am I to do...let's see if I can get a refund...hey you sold me a broken watch.

Send the watch to me, I'll have a look and let you know what is wrong, and if it's damaged, you can warn others not to deal with this particular individual.

If you had the watch for a while and it worked fine, the owner had it for 8 days without any issue, and it suddenly stopped working, it's somehow your fault? Not in my books...

RG