When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

BCE Ultimate Asian 1/3 the price of ETA?

dovo1695

I'm a little perplexed by the price differential between the asian 7750 version of the "ultimate" version of the BCE. Can anyone explain why the ETA version from our dealers is triple the price of asian version ($300 vs $900)? For most watches that I've seen the price difference is only $150 to $200 difference between asian and ETA versions.

Both the ETA and the asian version have:

Double AR

mark after the 10 on the top sub dial

It seems like I could buy the "ultimate" asian version, send it to The Zigmeister to be lumed and serviced, and still come out a few hundred dollars ahead. Can anybody shed some light on this? I love this watch and want to buy one.

Thanks in advance...

Probably the biggest factor in price between the two is that the swiss 7750 movement is pretty expensive. That alone would make for a big jump in price over the usual $100-200 difference in models that use a 2824 or 2836 instead of an asian 21J. Take a look around online at the prices of gen swiss 7750 and 7753 movements and you'll see what I mean.

Thanks for setting me straight guys. TA8088 you were right on the money; the other rep watches that I have been looking at with a Swiss movement were 28xx. After I did some searching in the forum I found a few posts discussing the cost of the gen swiss 7750; I had no idea how expensive it was!!!

Ironically, I had promised myself that I wouldn't post until I had spent at least 40 or so hours poring through the existing threads and could ask a decent question. I guess I've proven that I still have a long way to go before I graduate from "noob" status :(

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question; this is an amazing community!

i'd buy the asian version and send it out for full service (The Zigmeister or someone) and you'll have about the same quality as ETA after service and you've saved $300 over the cost of an ETA version.....

The price differential was not nearly as great a couple of years ago though. Swiss 7750's used to be readily available in the $200-$250 range. And the price differential was more like $350-400. It also doesn't help that ETA has gotten a lot smarter about who they will ship their movements too and rep manufacturers are not at the top of their list. :lol:

But if you are determined to have Swiss you should start looking around for good deals on the movements. I have always opted to buy the Swiss movement separately and than have it installed. My reasoning was always that in truth servicing on a chrono is not cheap anywhere and any watch that you were going to have a Swiss 7750 in you would also want relumed, properly AR'ed or with other mods.

i'd buy the asian version and send it out for full service (The Zigmeister or someone) and you'll have about the same quality as ETA after service and you've saved $300 over the cost of an ETA version.....

Thanks for posting that! I have been on fence about whether or not to do that or buy a 7750 or two (or four) but the cost is so high I could not justify it, but I love my chrono watches and would like many years of use out of them. I had read good things about the asian 7750 post-servicing, but you never know.

But if you are determined to have Swiss you should start looking around for good deals on the movements. I have always opted to buy the Swiss movement separately and than have it installed.

Thats a really good idea, particularly in light of what The Zigmeister said recently about the decline in "ETA" movements. Until I read his post I was naive enough to think that when the dealers charge $600 more for the ETA version vs the Asian version that I would be getting an ETA movement. Apparently this is not so.

Where does one find a new, genuine ETA movement?

Edited by dovo1695

Thanks Swisstyme. Great website!

I couldn't help but notice that they also sell used/refurb movements. Are the ETA movements that they sell genuine, brand-new ETA's? After reading The Zigmeister's recent posts I'm a bit gun-shy.

The Zigmeister:

Many members have been purchasing various ETA's for upgrading their watches.

As has been mentioned and proven on many occasions, ETA's in general are used surplus movements and their condition is unknown.

There is only one guaranteed package you will receive a ETA movement in, that guarantee's your particular movement is NEW and is correctly Serviced.

This is the packaging as delivered from the ETA factory to the end user:

post-12012-1208619827_thumb.jpg

Do the movements from Ofrei's come like this? Sorry to be such a noob. This is my first rep and I want to get it right the first time if I can.

Thanks