When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen PAM 184

bbell6

For some odd reason the outside ring and numbers make the dial seem busy even though it reall isn't. For this design I tend to prefer the clean layout. My 2 cents.

With this being a 42mm, that may add to the cramped appearance. I am under the understanding that one of the crowns moves the ring; is that correct? I've never seen the watch in person.

From the official OP catalogue:

The crown @ 2Hr is "for adjusting the second time zone".

Quite obscure, IMO. Unsure whether it means rotating the ring, or moving the GMT hand. :g:

I am still unable to persuade myself to like the two-crowns case -- even if I usually apreciate the Radiomirs with date.

I've seen and tried on the gen of this. They haven't made this one in a few years. It's a really stunning watch in person. It has the same profile as a 42mm Radiomir chrono (like the 204 Wempe). The slanted rehaut makes it look really different and very noticable. The band it comes with is a nice flat black leather with a single deployment clasp. Funny thing is that I'm not a PAM fan at all, but after trying on the gen of the 184, it convinced me to pick up a 42mm Radiomir.

And no one has ever made a rep of this, unfortunately. Just no demand for the 42mm Radiomirs.

I've seen and tried on the gen of this.

Great!

Any info about the 2nd crown function, by chance?

And no one has ever made a rep of this, unfortunately.

Well, a few guys on DHgate might even be selling something not too far (even if I would not bet a rat ass on what you would actually get):

http://www.dhgate.com/p_ff8080811752ce5a01...d9fcbc6048.html

http://www.dhgate.com/p_ff808081175c785901...c9003906c0.html

http://www.dhgate.com/p_ff80808119437e9001...c4fd95269e.html

I've seen and tried on the gen of this. They haven't made this one in a few years. It's a really stunning watch in person. It has the same profile as a 42mm Radiomir chrono (like the 204 Wempe). The slanted rehaut makes it look really different and very noticable. The band it comes with is a nice flat black leather with a single deployment clasp. Funny thing is that I'm not a PAM fan at all, but after trying on the gen of the 184, it convinced me to pick up a 42mm Radiomir.

And no one has ever made a rep of this, unfortunately. Just no demand for the 42mm Radiomirs.

Thanks for the input. Good to have the opinion of someone who has seen it in person.

Great!

Any info about the 2nd crown function, by chance?

Well, a few guys on DHgate might even be selling something not too far (even if I would not bet a rat ass on what you would actually get):

That is interesting. I would have thought that one of our dealers would be carrying this if it had been repped. It is odd that they don't give any details, and the price seems really low if in fact the inner bezel does rotate. As low as the price is, it might be worth taking the gamble

SS-- thanks for those links to DHgate. Those don't actually look too bad (although I'd be surprised if the rep actually looked like the pics), but those are reps of the larger 45mm Radiomir GMT (I can't remember the model off the top of my head). The watch has two crown functions. The bottom one sets date and time. The top one rotates the inner bezel, if I'm not mistaken.

Here's some interesting info I pulled from an eBay sale currently going on for a 184 (price is about $7,000):

Panerai Radiomir

Movement - Automatic

Case - Steel

Full Size

42mm

Functions - Hours, Minutes, Seconds, Date,

24 hour GMT, Rotating inner bezel

Saphire Crystal

Dial - Black

Band - Leather

Buckle - Deployed

Skeleton Back

water resistance

Pam 184

Limited to 1000 pieces

Series - G

Year - apx 2005

here's the site: http://cgi.ebay.com/Panerai-Radiomir-GMT-P...Q2em118Q2el1247

Some great pics on there.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the thread bump, but I've just noticed something... On the first link provided by SSSurfer, the 12 and 24 marks on the rehaut, are not alligned at the top and bottom of the case... I'd take that as a sign that it could infact be an adjustable inner bezel, rather than an independently settable GMT hand...

seanf--

great find. We can now take it for sure it's a rotating bezel. Thanks!

TJ--

you are absolutely correct.

Unfortunately, I doubt it is a pic of the watch that the dealer actually has for sale.

I suspect it's a pic of a gen that was put on offer on the bay on some past time.

Isn't the small photocamera icon in the lower right corner sort of an eBay "mark"?

you are absolutely correct.

:thumbsupsmileyanim:

Unfortunately, I doubt it is a pic of the watch that the dealer actually has for sale.

I suspect it's a pic of a gen that was put on offer on the bay on some past time.

Isn't the small photocamera icon in the lower right corner sort of an eBay "mark"?

I think you're right about the watermark on the picture... I have to admit, I was rather liking that watch. It definitely seemed to me like a 'holiday watch' though, rather than a daily beater... If Tony could source one, I'd probably order one. I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to order from that dealer though. :lol: That said, the price on single units isn't too bad, especially given the current $/