When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Smp chrono versus Smp bond

BreatheDeep

The chrono is by far the better rep. Change the datewheel and it is almost spot on, apar form the screws in the bracelet instead of pins, but no-one will notice that.

The SMP Bond has a fair few flaws comapred to the Chrono, but out of both of them I'd go for this version - better movement, and fits nicer on the wrist in my opinion.

In my quest for knowledge can you enlighten me to the flaws?

I have read about the crownguard,he valve,bezel position and varying views on the quality of the bracelet.

Anymore?

Is the bracelet really this bad?

I have read the review but it relates to the old stock smps so not really useful if i am to get a new stock one.

I am looking for opinions from people who own the new stock items.

I have read the review but it relates to the old stock smps so not really useful if i am to get a new stock one.

I am looking for opinions from people who own the new stock items.

>I've tried several attempts of the current incarnation SMP from three (of our boards') dealers, and all were unacceptable to me, at least.

>The crown prorudes so much that it digs into the back of my hand. I wear my watches a little loose, which allows for wrist heat expansion, and I just prefer it that way.

>The bracelets now adjust with screws, not pins, but they are curved, and are really close to the gen. *The gen's use friction pins, anyway- not split pins as you will still find on reps. of some (other) watches.

>The pearl is a known flaw, but a gen insert is available on fleabay for under $17.

>The lume is a bit lacking, but that's so minor I probably shouldn't even mention it..

>Of course the HE valve placement is off, but that (for me) ranks right down there with the weak lume, and is really the only thing that can't be fixed.

I now own the current SMP chrono, which I love, and as By-Tor will testify, is even now one of the best "out of the box" rep's one can buy. I've had mine for a little over a month, and the crown tube thread has stripped. I'm replacing the tube (well, my watch guy is), but the real kicker was when I found out that an ETA date-wheel won't fit the Asian 7750 movement fitted to this watch. Some people got lucky with a 'correct font' DW, but I believe they all now come with the "tell" feeble DW.

*I keep reading on these boards of ETA DW's being fitted, but I've yet to learn how..

My choice would still be the chrono. It's not as bulky or heavy as it appears when worn, and it will get a lot of wrist time!

Thanks f5mando this is just the info i was looking for.

I have gone ahead and ordered a SMP and will order the chrono when i receive this one.

Many thanks Andy

I have a chrono, after going though the same pain of debating these 2, no matter which you choose you win, but everyone wants to win big.

I love the way it sits on the wrist, I liked the bond as well, and will buy one next, but I am young and a sports coach so the chrono suits me well.

Oh and the strap is rubbish! I bought my chrono last week, ordered a gen band yesterday, fitting it tomorrow morning (assuming it comes with the 9am post) It really is a massive tell, yes a photo comparison shows they look similar, but put the 2 next to each other in the sun and difference is blatant!!!

Oh and the strap is rubbish! I bought my chrono last week, ordered a gen band yesterday, fitting it tomorrow morning (assuming it comes with the 9am post) It really is a massive tell, yes a photo comparison shows they look similar, but put the 2 next to each other in the sun and difference is blatant!!!

I find the rep chrono band very comfortable...but the screws are a tell if:

a) you look for them

B) you know that Omega uses pins not screws unlike the rest of the universe

The chrono is a beautiful watch. There's something about the design with the orange hands that adds that subtle bit more interest I find than the Bond. As well, the polished silver lining of the subdial rings adds some class as well.

My friends with gens, all have the SMP Pro, non-chrono and their bracelets are all different. The Chrono 9 part bracelet is quite nice.