When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Anyone remember this?

Spoooooonz

Mr Phillips died of cancer shortly after his patent was granted and the first watch he built utilizing this technology was demonstrated. I imagine that his family will likely end up selling the patent rights to some watch conglomerate.

Mr Phillips died of cancer shortly after his patent was granted and the first watch he built utilizing this technology was demonstrated. I imagine that his family will likely end up selling the patent rights to some watch conglomerate.

Well imagine that :huh:

If he had invented an alternative fuel source for automobiles one could assume it was an OPEC inflicted cancer, but the watch industry isn't that cutthroat.........................................is it? :unsure:

Ken

The usual problem with these technologies is that the rest of the movement needs to be almost impossibly efficient in order to keep running, and this is tough to do. I read an article a while back about JLC trying to develop a watch version of the Atmos clock, which is powered by changed in atmospheric pressure. Ultimately they gave up as they could not get the prototypes working reliably enough for the real world.

I will be very interested to see if any manufacturer releases a watch using the is technology.

Does it strike anyone as rather ironic though that the swiss manufacturers and their customers spend millions trying to achieve what a solar cell and a quartz chip does with near perfect efficiency for a few cents..