When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen Bond SMP insert on Rep SMP Chrono

-EZ-

The SMP Chrono is easily one of the best reps out there, but it has 2 basic flaws: Pearl (size, placement, color), and the datewheel.

Mine already has an ETA datewheel, but the pearl always bothered me. Fortunately I was able to give a recent watch tragedy a happy ending.

After a couple hours of American-style tackle football, I noticed that somehow the gen bezel on my Bond SMP had bent. After I took it home and gave it an examination, it was clear that the bezel had not only bent but rotated, and the retaining ring was hopelessly jammed up inside. I did what I could, but it could not be saved. However, I was left with a virtually unscathed insert.

The idea came almost immediately. Since the Bond bezel was useless now, how about putting the insert to use on my beloved SMP Chrono? The SMP and SMP Chrono bezels are not interchangeable (different diameters, and the chrono is much thicker), so it wasn

The SMP Chrono is easily one of the best reps out there, but it has 2 basic flaws: Pearl (size, placement, color), and the datewheel.

Not all of them. The very first batch of the SMP Chrono came with the ETA datewheel. Well, at least mine did.

Pics here.

I'd love to update my SMP Chrono with a gen insert too. Wonder if they're available somewhere, and at what price...

Not all of them. The very first batch of the SMP Chrono came with the ETA datewheel. Well, at least mine did.

Pics here.

I'd love to update my SMP Chrono with a gen insert too. Wonder if they're available somewhere, and at what price...

Good point. Wish I had gotten one of those! Are you sure someone didn't get mixed up and give you one with an ETA movement? :D

As for gen inserts, they are definitely not available separately from any watch material house. If you're very lucky, one may show up on the bay or TZ or somewhere like that. If it does, it's probably from someone that did the same thing as me: ruined a bezel and got left with the insert.

elisiX: Nice franken! Is the whole bezel gen? I aways wondered if it would fit. I thought about getting the red hands too, but for now the orange will do.