When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Invicta Speedway COSC

Bansenshukai

I just got this Invicta Speedway COSC Special Edition watch. I was actually surprised at the quality of it as I own a few Invictas in my 35 watch collection. For the most part, the quality of Invicta is similar to that of many reps we buy through our various collectors. I have even seen - though, not on my own watches - an Invicta where the lume "sticker" fell of one off the hour markers. Plus, I don't have any real love for the Miyota movement for some reason.

This particular Speedway came out at least four, or five years ago. I remember seeing it and wanting it. The price was too steep for me for an Invicta. I would spend $4200 on a Rolex, or Omega, but, I could never bring myself to trust Invicta's dismal Customer Service with that kind of investment. I snatched this one on an auction for a fraction of the price.

post-691-1208903693_thumb.jpg

Movement: The movement is a very nicely decorated ETA 2894 which can be seen through a saphire crystal caseback. The movement has - allegedly - been certified to COSC standards. So far, it keeps great time. But, then again, so does my Yachtmaster rep (my Rolessium actually keeps up with my gen Rolexes and Omegas and the Yachty only cost $220). The movement has the watch's serial number stamped on it and this can be seen through the caseback. The minute and hour hands on the sub-dials all reset to the 12 o'clock position exactly. The movement on the second hand is sweeping and very smooth. I have a Tissot Le Locle with an ETA 7750 and the sweeping hand on that does not seem to sweep as smoothly as this Invicta's second hand.

Dial: The dial is nicely engraved. I have not seen this type of decoration on a dial in a while. This was one of the features that attracted me to this watch in the first place. Especially, since it makes this descendant of the venerable Rolex Daytona very unique. I have not warmed-up to Invicta's "homage" to all things Rolex; I prefer straight up rep-like imitation (it seems more honest). The hour and minute hands have a nice uncommon shape; they are straight and don't have any kind of design. Yet, the best watch hands I've seen are my gen Omega Seamaster's sword hands, so I'm biased to that look. But, the hands on this watch do not allow it to look over done.

post-691-1208903671_thumb.jpg

Lume: Totally sucks! I think that the lume on this might be that fraud called "Trinite". In fact, I have Panerai reps with better lume right from the rep factory. Again, my rep Rolessium out performs the lume on the Speedway in so many ways. Plus, only the hands are lumed. I thought that the markers on the rehaut might also be lumed. But, they are not; they are just stainless steel squares. In my opinion, this should have been lumed with "Luminova" and these markers on the rehaut should be lumed too. I think this is one of the areas where Invicta consistently screws-up on their otherwise competitive watches.

Bracelet: Thick and substantial. Solid end links are a nice touch. The butterfly clasp is awesome! I always liked the detail of the center polished link. But, as a beater, this surface will suffer. The bracelet certainly adds heft to the watch. In conjuction with all the engraved detail on the caseback, I don't recommend one wear this watch on a 10 Km run. I've already made that mistake and I have a raw spot on my wrist; parts of the decorated caseback can work just like fine sandpaper.

Overall, I love the watch. It gets plenty of wrist time right now. In fact, it's displaced the wrist time my Omega Seamaster used to get.

Note: The photos are from the Invicta Review site. I have also provided the link to the actual webpage where these photos are originally displayed. I wish I could post my own wrist shots but I'm overseas right now and my camera is on the fritz. Take care.

Invicta Speedway COSC Review